MVA Magnum Hadley

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: MVA Magnum Hadley

Post by gunlaker »

I did get mine in the mail but I haven't got around to trying it yet. Testing In the basement it looks like it'll help on those dark northern mornings with shaded targets.

It'll likely be a while before I get around to using it. My next plans involve some experiments with .32-40's and .38-55's rather than by BPTR/BPCR rifles. I've got a batch of Darr style bullets from a new Hoch mold to test out in one of my CPA's.

Chris.
SchuetzenDave

Re: MVA Magnum Hadley

Post by SchuetzenDave »

Lones Wigger; a very famous US shooter; Olympic coach and only shooter in the Sportsman Hall of Fame advised me to:

Focus your rear aperture to obtain a sharp front aperture;
Make sure your front aperture is sharper than your target.

Even when your target is fuzzy your eye will concentrate on centering the target in your aperature as long as your aperature is sharper than the target.
A sharp aperture makes you concentrate only on the aperature instead of focusing back and forth between the aperture and the target.
This will result in group sizes one third the size compared to if you had both a sharp aperture and a sharp target.

Instead of concentrating on centering the target image; your eye will keep trying to look at the target, instead of the position of the target in the aperture.

I was on the last relay last year at the Canadian Shiloh BPCR shoot.
I had the widest opening on my Magnum Hadley disk; but could not see the Ram it had gotten so dark.
I could only just make out a slightly darker area on the horizon.
Other shooters quit shooting before the time was up.
I kept hitting Rams even though I could not see them; only by seeing a hint of darkness out on the line.
Without the extra light provided by the larger apertures on the Magnum Hadley; I would have had to quit like the other shooters.