32-20 getting there. .

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

martinibelgian

Re: 32-20 getting there. .

Post by martinibelgian »

I'm not really measuring compression - more powder just means more compression in my book. I do droptube the powder in the case, and use a rather thick card overpowder wad.
The main accuracy factor seems to be cartridge OAL - or to get the bullet barely in contact with the rifling, using for the moment fireformed and unsized brass.

Also tried some PP Loads with pretty thorough wiping between shots, but no ceegar - 5+ MOA at least. I might just have to shorten the bullet a bit, as the bullet base sits now right at the case shoulder junction.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

gert; have you noticed much change in velocity between 1.5 and 2f swiss? merry christmas art ruggiero
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Art,

I still have to chrono the loads, so no idea yet. I'm guesstimating somewhere around .22lr MV's with these loads. After all, a 150gr bullet is pretty heavy for only 18.2 grs of powder. But the 2Fg load could be printing just a smidgen higher on target. Still, as the weight is just a bit less, that might compensate for the faster burn.
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

The accuracy of the .32 caliber continually improves as you increase from 1,100 fps up to 1,400 fps.

I assume you wish to use BP instead of smokeless.

Have you thought of compressing Swiss FFFg to improve your velocities?

The smaller calibers do prefer the finer BP.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Dave,

Even by using faster powder or compressing (even) more, no way I'll be getting anywhere close to 1400 fps. If I'm lucky, i just might get another 25-50 fps, but no more... And not too sure about those smaller calibres preferring the finer powder - in the past, Fg was the recommended granulation. I also noticed I made a mistake in posting that I used 2Fg, I rechecked and I used the box with 1 1/2Fg loads instead, I still have to test the 2Fg loads.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Another load this rime - the 308403 Pope 171gr 30:1 bullet, but not used as intended: resized to .309 and semi-breechseated. In other words, I used a plugged case to seat the bullet in the chamber, then seated the powder-charged case behind the bullet. The bullet base is still partially inside the case, however.

As usual, results prone with sling, at 75m. 10 shots fired, so the 10-ring holds 6 shots (the shot cutting the 10-ring at 7 o'clock is not counted as a 10).

Another difference too: the cleaning rod now has a larger-diameter jag, this definitely seemed to help accuracy. porbably made sure the barrel was cleaner after wiping, 2 patches with WD40.

Pity about the 8, but OTOH, bullets were some leftovers, not weighed or inspected.