14lb bull barrel rifle that makes BPTR weight limit

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

14lb bull barrel rifle that makes BPTR weight limit

Post by gunlaker »

Has anyone out there got a 14 lb bull barreled rifle in a Long Range Express, or Sporter #1 stock that will make the 15lb limit?

I have a 30" 14lb #3 that will just barely ( semi fancy wood, pewter tip, and steel shotgun butt ). I imagine that there is a combo that will keep it under the limit with the heavier pistol grip stock.

Anyone done this?

thanks,

Chris.
Don McDowell

Re: 14lb bull barrel rifle that makes BPTR weight limit

Post by Don McDowell »

Well that rifle will actually make weight under the tollefson class, but whether or not that class is recognized at a match or not is another question, but should still be legal to shoot?
Or at least that was the decision made at the nationals this year. Tollefson guns could compete, but due to not enough shooters the class it's self would not be recognized. The same was done at the Rocky Mountain Regional
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Don I want it to make weight for NRA LR matches as well as for the Canadian national match, so want to be just under 15lbs.

My #3 is pretty much exactly 15 lbs with sights. I was thinking if I didn't use a pewter tip, I might be able to make up for the addition of a pistol grip.

The rifle on order is currently a 16 lb barrel as I was originally thinking of a Tollofson class rifle. I've been doing some thinking as the weather is too miserable for black powder shooting :mrgreen:

If I could get it to 15 lbs it'd be more versatile. In the American matches I'd likely shoot it as a Tollofson rifle with a scope anyways. But to shoot it at the Canadian nationals I'd want to shoot it with a aperture sights and hit the 15 lb limit.

I have some time to wait anyhow. I don't think it'll get into production anytime soon. When I ordered it close to 2 years ago Lucinda told me it wouldn't get built for a long long time :lol: :lol:

Chris.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Wonder what the weight difference between the steel butt plate and the plastic one would be?
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Less than three ounces. Shoot straight, rdnck
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Languishing here in 70 degree Southern Arizona December weather, applying SPF 30, and trying not to drift off to a nap, I think Redneck illuminated a solution for NRA USA Competition.

The upper weight limit for USA BPTR is 15.0 pounds, over 15 and less than 25 is Tollofson. 25 pounds and over not allowed in BPTR.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Well believe it or not, a lot of the original Sharps Creedmoor and LR guns had the rubber butt plates for the exact same reason, they had to come under 10 .0 lbs to make weight. bobw
bobw
everetto

Post by everetto »

My half octagon number 1 bull barrel weighs 14.25 (it's for sale, I suppose it's not ok to say that here?).
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

I shoot my roller with no forend.
Could you do the same to lose weight?
BFD

Post by BFD »

Not legally. Forearms are required. Albeit, no one has defined the minimum size of a forearm. A toothpick might qualify but shooters' juries may figure that's not "in the spirit".
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Bob I did not know that, but it makes total sense. Thanks.

I will weigh one of my pewter tip forearms and compare it to a plain one. That and the buttplate will give me some wiggle room, and wood grade of course. I'll see if I can talk with Kirk about it this spring when I'm passing through Big Timber again.

I'd like to avoid the part octagon barrel, but that's an option too. I remember Steve Rhoades saying that his .40 cal made weight unless he put the scope on it.

Chris.
R Moritz

Post by R Moritz »

Chris,

My dedicated target rifle is an 1874 Sharps #3 sporter. It does make weight, 14.5 pounds on the Raton scale. The octagon barrel is 30 inches, 45 caliber. Breech dimensions are 1.30 inches tapering to 1.25 at the muzzle. I do not have a pewter tip. The length of pull is 14.25 inches, measured from the butt to the firing trigger. However, I have a Pachmayer decelerator pad which is one-inch think. So this eliminates any steel butt plate and I think the rubber probably has a lower density than the wood it replaces. This probably saves a bit of weight. The 1/2 pound margin allows me to add a cheek piece for 900 and 1,000 yards while staying within the 15-pound allowable weight.

I would suggest you leave off the pewter tip and do not use a steel butt plate. It is always easier to add weight at a later date than it is to take it off. If I was not going to use an octagon barrel the octagon to round barrel would not be my first choice. If you want to dress the rifle up you could add an ebony tip or inlay.

Cheers
Rick Moritz
Wenatchee, WA
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Thanks very much Rick!

Chris.
everetto

Post by everetto »

My half octagon bull barrel #1 sporting rifle weighs 14.3 lbs. The barrel measures 1.30 at the breech and 1.15 at the muzzle. It has a pewter forend, cheekpiece, and steel shotgun buttplate. The taper on the round portion of the barrel is the key to the "light" weight of this rifle. By the way, that 14.3 lbs is with a Distant Thunder midrange globe front sight, no rear barrel sight (with a dovetail filler blank), and a Hoke long range tang sight.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Anybody think about drilling a few holes in the buttstock?
beltfed/arnie