no lead

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

hipshot1

Re: no lead

Post by hipshot1 »

MAH
was just wondering if the solvent caused the pitting, wouldn't you have it all the way through the barrel and not just in the last eight inches?
A man must standup before you can see how long of a shadow he will cast
MAH

Post by MAH »

The pitting is all thru the barrel. But the bore scope only goes down part of the way. It was Bore Tech that caused the problem. Not only killed two of my barrels but a friends also. So when you look at the cost of replacing two barrels. It turns out to be beyond scope.

MAH
BFD

Post by BFD »

I use Bore Tech rimfire blend in my .22s and some other rifles. No pitting at all. I think something else pitted your barrels, MAH.
MacRob46

Post by MacRob46 »

I use Shiloh BP Solvent, followed by their Bore Cleaner. I have noticed small streaks of lead on the patch after the bore cleaner and usually wipe until that is gone. Follow with oil until the next shooting session and have had no problems. Simple regimen which works for me with good products.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

mah,
boretech or wipe out?
it is not clear which one you claim caused pitting?
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
semtav

Post by semtav »

bruce m wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:28 pm mah,
boretech or wipe out?
it is not clear which one you claim caused pitting?
bruce.
I guess I was confused too. Thought we were talking about Sharp Shoot R products. Have a bottle of their black powder brushless bore cleaner that I've never used, but use their Patch-Out on my Blackhorn loads. Used to use the Bore Tech Eliminator on them but like the Patch Out better cause it's not as hard on my hands. There's something definitely strong in the Bore Tech Eliminator but I still use it on my high power rifles. Haven't seen any type of corrosion on any rifles since I went to dousing them with power lube.
Switching to paperpatched has eliminated the need for a lot of the harsh chemicals I used to use.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

should have said boretech or sharpshoor products, not wipeout which is made by sharpshootr.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

I had the reddish residue coming out (unfortunately not so much the lead) with the Sharpshootrs product, no issues at all with the boretech stuff, even when leaving it in the barrel. And yes, I do have a borescope.
MAH

Post by MAH »

BFD,

There is no doubt what caused the pitting in the two barrels. Bore Tech Black Powder Solvent was the product. The one rifle was highly capable of shooting groups well under MOA at 500 yards. The "90" was equally as good. Then both of them the accuracy just dropped off a cliff. Baffled as to the caused both were inspected by the smith that fitted the barrels. Both the of the guns had the barrels less than a year old. My cleaning procedures were beyond question. Did some testing and with out doubt the problem was the solvent. A good friend of mine was using the same product. Checked his rifle out and there were pits in his barrel also.

I recall you having a problem much that mirrored mine as a couple of rifles went in a nose dive. Never did read if you ever found the base problem for the cause? Both of mine are somewhat shooting again but not the razor edge as they once did.

Currently I am using a homemade solvent of "Ed's Red. Working but still bitter about mediocre performance of my guns.

MAH
BFD

Post by BFD »

No one else here seems to have that problem, myself included.

My rifles that have "nosed dived" have never seen Bore Tech. They get cleaned with water and then oiled.

I don't think Bore Tech causes corrosion at all.
semtav

Post by semtav »

easiest way to settle this would be to get a piece of bare steel and wipe bore tech on half of it. then wipe it off and see. Arguing "did too"- "did not" isn't going to solve the question.
BFD

Post by BFD »

semtav wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:46 am easiest way to settle this would be to get a piece of bare steel and wipe bore tech on half of it. then wipe it off and see. Arguing "did too"- "did not" isn't going to solve the question.
Yeah, you should do that.
semtav

Post by semtav »

BFD wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:10 pm

Yeah, you should do that.
Only have the Sharp Shoot R version so I just did. No internet so as soon as I figure out how to post the pic from my smart phone I will.
semtav

Post by semtav »

thumbnail.jpg

Wiped on left half. Wiped off with dry paper towel. didn't lube afterward. We'll see what happens in a week
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

so mah,
it is not the product "no lead" by sharpshootr that caused your problem as you originally stated, but another suspected product.
you really need to clarify this point, as people read things in the assumption of the statement being correct.
this is how urban myths evolve.
and do we believe other statements you make?
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus