Phoenix matches

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Don McDowell

Phoenix matches

Post by Don McDowell »

Lots of work in progress on this, but hopefully the information I was able to gather up this morning will help clear some confusion, and get a good turn out.
Arizona Western Independent National Shoot - AZ WINS The Creedmore starts Wednesday the 27th and runs Thursday and Friday.

USMLIT runs Saturday March 2 Sunday March 3 and Monday March 4.

BPCR World Championships starts Tuesday March 5 for practice and competition starts Wednesday March 6 Thursday March 7 and Friday March 8.
Manage
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Aviator

Re: Phoenix matches

Post by Aviator »

Thanks, Don.
Hadn't seen any dates for the "Creedmore" yet (or really even a description of exactly what it is).

A couple days ago, I had given up on being able to come for any of these. But I think I have come up with a solution, and now may be able to come on down!

It is about an 1800 mile drive for me, so is a significant investment of time and money. Having this many days of long range shooting seems like a real treat, and is a plus toward making the investment. Though since this would be my first long range target match, and since some of the details are a little sketchy for an inexperienced new guy, it is a little intimidating.

A few questions that maybe some of you could answer, and help me decide whether to jump over the edge:

1. I have some experience shooting long range, but I have only recently made the switch to using black powder, and this would be my first introduction to long range target matches. It am hoping that it would be a great opportunity to learn the ropes from people who have been there and done that. I would hope that there would be some chance to get some guidance and mentoring from one or more experienced guys who are willing to help out the new guy. Is that a reasonable expectation? Or am I better off starting at some smaller match somewhere else?

2. Is the Shooter's Campground (East) the place to camp? I don't have a trailer, just a tent. Or is there a relatively inexpensive motel nearby?

3. I know that 45-70 is probably not optimal for 1000 yards, but it is what I have (535 grain bullet @ just under 1200 fps). I know it will shoot better than 1.5 MOA vertical at 300 yards, and reaches 1000 yards, but haven't really quantified it at 1000. Can I assume that a Shiloh 45-70 with either MVA Soule sight or BPCR-legal scope is allowable equipment in all three of the matches?

I may come up with more questions, but that is it for now.

Thanks for your help,
Steve
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Steve the east shooters campground is the only place to camp for tents I think.The campground is nice with showers and one of the shower houses has laundry in it.
It's somewhat of a convoluted process, you have to send them on their website form to reserve, and then in two or three days they'll email you back and let you know what space.
I hear you about the drive, we've only got about 1100 miles to get there, but the weather up here can sure bugger things up. Glad we don't have to go in the morning, road reports pretty much stink tonite.
I'm not sure they've made a final determination of what the "Creedmore" match will be just yet, but after talking to Bill L, sounds like he's really wanting to make a good time for the cartridge guns, and the muzzleloaders if they decide to shoot it. I don't know yet whether I'll be able to make it down for that match but am planning on being there for sure either the night of the 28th, or early morning on March 1.
Don't worry about the small stuff, just send in your entries and come on down.
If you can get a velocity up around 1230 or so with your bullet it'll do alright. You'll never be "ready" to shoot that first long range match, until after you get thru it.. You'll probably learn more in the first couple of days than you could ever learn in a years worth of "getting ready"
Looking forward to meeting you.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

One should bring a notebook to all matches.
Way to easy to forget things, if you don't write'em down........
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Thanks for the info Don.

I applied for a campsite today. Hopefully they'll have one!

Hopefully no complications arise. I expect I will come, and expect to learn a lot (and try not to embarrass myself too badly).

Looking forward to meeting you, and others from the forum!
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

My attempt to reserve a campsite somehow fell thru the cracks on their end.
But, I called them today, and they found my request and got it taken care of!

So now that I have a place to stay, I better get my entries sent in and get busy getting ready to come!

I didn't figure I would be able to make more than 3 matches this year. Now, my very first match will be immediately followed by the second and third!

Is 500 rounds probably about right?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You would be in fairly decent shape with 400 rounds depending on how many you use on the practice days. If I got all the cyphering done right it'll take around 250 maybe 300 to shoot all three matches.
But yeh, this is going to be as good as it gets for number of rounds fired for score per mile traveled to attend.