Bore pigs

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Re: Bore pigs

Post by semtav »

BFD wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:34 pm 'Before you put them in a case'???
Blue cartridge case ( see rfd's picture earlier in this thread)
Try plain old dihydrogen oxide. Skip the oil stuff.
next time !!!!

Perhaps there is something wrong with the design or construction of your animals. Exactly what did the dry patch, with which you pushed the pig, look like and feel like after it passed out of the bore?
virtually clean and dry
rfd

Post by rfd »

semtav --- brent's bore gophers work better than BACO's wipers, at least for me. i use plain tap water to soak the wipers in during the drive to the range. in use, excess water is flicked off, the gopher is pushed into the chamber, a plain 3/8" delrin rod pushes it past the chamber, a dry patch is pushed in to dry the chamber and meet up with the gopher, both get pushed out into a small plastic container filled with plain tap water. that last step keeps the bp fouling soft on the gophers for easier/faster water cleaning back at the ranch. i've not seen any change in POI due to any kinda bore wipers that i'd attribute to the gophers ... to me, yeah, for sure, old eyes suck.

with all that said, what components did you use for your gopher builds? do your gophers push easily through the tube or with some effort?
BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
semtav

Post by semtav »

Rfd,
They pushed thru with quite a bit of pressure.
One thing I have to change is the size of the jag or the patches. Couldn't push the patch thru with a 45 Cal jag so I used a 410 jag. But the chamber was still dry when done and never got any case stretching.
I will take a picture of one when I get home, but they are just like the rest. Except pistol brushes.
The felts were extremely black when I got done. But none of the patches showed any black.
I put a dry tub under the muzzle when I shot. Those little brushes flying out of the tub from the muzzle blast are a little distracting. Maybe water in the tub would bite that .