Bore pigs

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Bore pigs

Post by semtav »

After reading all the virtues of bore pigs, I'm probably going to have to start trying them.
One question I have tho, is
How do you keep the chamber dry? seems when you run the bore pig in, some liquid has to get into the chamber and the squeegee on the end probably doesn't get it.
Is that an issue?
BFD

Re: Bore pigs

Post by BFD »

Push the pig through with a dry patch on a jag. That does it all in one sweep. I have a video somewhere of this.

What caliber?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH7RHS2QB5I
semtav

Post by semtav »

I have 45, 42 and 40. probably start out with the 45-90.

thanks
BFD

Post by BFD »

45s are the easiest, if you are going to build your own. What design are you going to use?
semtav

Post by semtav »

I was going to try to build something like yours.
maybe with one of buffalo arms wads on the front.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Just be sure to buy the nylon bristle, bronze core brushes from Brownells.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Just be sure to buy the nylon bristle, bronze core brushes from Brownells.
semtav

Post by semtav »

ok
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

These are the .45 caliber bore pigs I made up last winter and used all this past year. They worked very well for me. I got the brushes and felts from Brownell's.
45 caliber Bore pigs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
semtav

Post by semtav »

Thanks Jim. Did you put anything behind the felt or does the brush alone keep it up front? And did you trim some of the brush away ?
Distant Thunder

I did trim the brushes back just enough to allow me to get the felts on far enough that the brass tip of the brush just shows in the front. The felts stay on very well and hold up very well too. I just rinse them with distilled water between relays or as needed and pat dry with a towel.

The nylon bushings on the back I bought at the local hardware store. I just had to run an 8-32 tap thru them and they fit perfect. They are 3/8" diameter and 3/8" long and have a 9/64' hole thru.

The rubber washers I made from a semi tire innertube for my .45 caliber pigs, very durable. I used some red rubber sheeting I bought at the hardware store on my .40 caliber pigs which are otherwise the same. That seems to be holding up well too after 1 year of use.

I think if you looked around you could probably fine some neoprene washers at a hardware store that are approximately 3/32 to 1/8" thick and 1/2" diameter for .45 caliber and 7/16" diameter for .40 caliber. They would need to be a low durometer (pliable) to work best.

I just fill the wells in my cartridge box about half way with my wiping solution and then insert the pigs felt down before a day of shooting or after they have been rinsed and dried. The felt and part of the brush are pretty saturated with solution when I lift them out of the box and insert a pig into the chamber. I push the pig thru the bore somewhat slowly with a dry patch on the end of my wiping stick. They fall from the muzzle into a Tupperware type container. The rubber washer really does a great job of squeegeeing the wet fouling out the muzzle, the dry patch just makes sure that everything is left dry including the chamber. I do pause with the dry patch in the chamber for just a second or two so it can soak up any solution there might be. The washer is tight enough in the bore that little if any solution is left behind there, but the patch will pick up any that is.

Between the soaked felt and the wet brush the bore is cleaned very effectively. The rubber washer and the dry patch make sure the bore is dry and ready for my next PPB. I believe this is THE fastest and most effective way to wipe between shots possible.

I have (50) .40 caliber pigs and (48) .45 caliber. That is enough to get me thru a day of shooting at a typical match if I remember to use wet and dry patches at the end of each relay when I'm off the clock. I will often have a few pigs left over. It depends on the number of sighters. If I need to I can clean some for the last relay.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
BFD

Post by BFD »

If the felts on the tip fall off too often that it is a hassle for you, they can be glued on. I used blue loctite because that is what I had, but other glues probably work better. They may have to be reglued after a few months of hard work. Maybe.

I like a second felt in the rear also.

The dry patch you are pushing the pig through should come out almost as clean as it went it. And it should be just damp, not wet. If it has streaks of fouling or is very damp or even wet, then something isn't working right.

Avoid steel core brushes
Distant Thunder

"Avoid steel core brushes"

This is true, but the ones I am using for my .40-65 are steel and I have been using them since 2009 and they are still doing the job. However, the brass core are what you really want to use. I just started with what I had, which was steel, and built on that. After each match I wash and dry them thoroughly then spray them with a light coat of oil. That has kept the rust down and made them last for 10 years. The brass should last a lifetime or two.

The other thing that has probably contributed to keeping the rust down is that I have ALWAYS used a mix of water and water soluble oil as a wiping solution. It has some advantages.

Use what works for you.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
semtav

Post by semtav »

bore pig.jpg
picked up a couple things in Miles City on my way thru.
Plastic spacers were a little big so just using them as a mockup for the felt.
Washer is a little thick but pushes thru fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Those look like the brushes that Brownells sells. I bet they are the same.

You do not need to have the brass core pass all the way through the felts. Halfway is enough. But shouldn't hurt either. Those will work.