Bore pigs

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Re: Bore pigs

Post by semtav »

For some reason Red Rock doesn't carry the 45 cal rifle brushes, but I think I like the shorter pistol one anyways.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

This is just my thoughts on the washers.

The washer needs to be oversize for the bore, .500" diameter for .458 caliber and .437" for .408 caliber, and be pliable enough to fold back over the Plastic or nylon bushing so it acts like a squeegee. If it pushes thru to easy it's probably not forcing all the wet fouling out ahead of it.

I understand that that is just a mockup just be sure the real ones fit tightly in the bore so they wipe it clean. Pistol brushes will work fine. I used the rifle brushes because they were on sale and that's what I had used before.

I had to make the brass stick all the way thru my felts only because I wanted them to fit in my cartridge box and OAL was a concern. As is they just fit the box.

There is probably as many ways to make these bore pigs are there are people using them. As long as they work I don't think it matters exactly what components are used or just how they are assembled. I put the plastic bushing on the back to support the washer and give my jag a good surface to push against. One felt has worked for me so far, but I don't see anything wrong with two felts. If I ever find that I don't have enough solution with one felt, doubtful, I will modify them to have two felts up front so they are still standing in the solution when in my cartridge box.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
semtav

Post by semtav »

Distant Thunder wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:51 pm This is just my thoughts on the washers.

The washer needs to be oversize for the bore, .500" diameter for .458 caliber and .437" for .408 caliber, and be pliable enough to fold back over the Plastic or nylon bushing so it acts like a squeegee. If it pushes thru to easy it's probably not forcing all the wet fouling out ahead of it.

Thanks
I just bought a 29/64 and a 30/64 washer. Will see if they have a 1/2 locally. Found some brass 8-32 nuts in my junk drawer, but like the plastic one you have better.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Watch that the washers do not fold back and become pinched between the nut (plastic or otherwise) and the throat or barrel wall.
semtav

Post by semtav »

OK
Which felt pellets do you order? the plain or the super intensive from brownells?
Gonna order some today since they have free shipping today

Edit
Guess it doesn't matter they are both on backorder
BFD

Post by BFD »

Plain. sometimes you can find them cheaper on amazon or ebay. Sometimes.
CaptnJack

Post by CaptnJack »

I bought the Nylon brushes and the felts from Buffalo Arms and
bought nylon nuts and the rubber washers from McMaster-Carr 50 to a box. They work like a charm on my 45-70
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

CaptnJack,

Picture?
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

I use the Brownell's heavy brass with nylon rifle brushes in combination with Buffalo Arms bore wipes
ahead of patch to make sure all the moisture is gone in one pass.Whole thing is about 3 1/2" long.
HG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Distant Thunder wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:51 pm This is just my thoughts on the washers.
How thick are your rubber washers ? the one that is 30/64 that I mocked up is 1/8 in thick. Pushes real hard with just water on the felts. Maybe too hard.
BFD

Post by BFD »

too hard is not good. I use 2 1/16" washers. Material, as well as thickness, matter.

It's hard to find a good fit with the .40s, but I might have suggestions (but not so much experience yet).
BFD

Post by BFD »

Also, if the washer folds over the nut or whatever is behind your washer, it may wedge in the bore. In this case, thinner may be the a problem. I haven't had this problem but others have.
semtav

Post by semtav »

OK
I just ordered some EPDM ones from McMaster-Carr approx .1 thick 1/2" dia. P/N 90130A012 I'll see how they work out.
Gonna try these nuts P/N 94909A009
BFD

Post by BFD »

I just use standard 8/32 brass nuts. if clearance is an issue I find a way to turn them down in my "lathe" (aka drill press and file).
rfd

Post by rfd »

i'm currently using the BACO bore wipers. i'll push a wet wiper into the chamber and push it past the chamber and just into the rifling using a delrin rod. then i push in a 2" arsenal patch to dry the chamber, then push the patch and wiper out the muzzle and into a wide mouth jug of plain water. i use VFG felts.

BR ~ TMA ~ BPG