Got Some Advice Today

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rdnck

Re: Got Some Advice Today

Post by rdnck »

Ya think? Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
bobw

Post by bobw »

I started loading bp for my 50-3 1/4" back in 1992. Didn't join this forum until November of 2004, didn't know about it. I had been successfully loading and shooting that gun for 12 years before I found out that everybody knows those aren't any good and you should send it to Shiloh and have it rebarreled to 45-70... I'd ask questions of people here who sounded like they knew what they were doing and then they would tell me stuff like the above. Only found a few who had ever owned , loaded, and shot 50-140's and some of them freely told me of their bad luck and their good with it. So I quit listening to greaser shooters period unless I need advice on using greasers in my Trapdoor or 86 Winchester. I garnered knowledge from guys using paper patch bullets because that was what I wanted to do, I learned that due to some chamber dimensions when to patch to bore and when to patch to groove and still gaining knowledge of both. I enjoy reading about everything on this forum by everyone who posts, but that doesn't mean I heed what everyone says or take their advice. I don't hear well, but right here on the forum I'm able to hear everything from everyone. I have to listen with my eyes, sort the wheat from the chaff decide what may be a good thing to try, what idea has a lot of merit, what has none. I have learned most of all over the years what part of our sport is important to me and to not measure my own success by "wins" at some shoot somebody else thinks is the most important event in the country. I'm on a new journey now to learn about, enjoy and use the 40-90 2 5/8" SBN. Doesn't mean I'm done journeying with the 50-140, the 50-2 1/2, 45 2 7/8",40-70 2.1" or the 45-2.1" an excellent cartridge that is a std that it seems everything else is measured by ,because I've learned that everybody still hasn't found out everything about it either. :) bobw
bobw
1minute

Post by 1minute »

Sounds like advice one might hand out to a potential competitor. Steering one everywhere but the right direction.
1Minute