Got Some Advice Today

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: Got Some Advice Today

Post by gunlaker »

Aviator, when you are pushing those BACO bore pigs through the bore in Phoenix, keep an eye on what's on the patch as it comes out of the muzzle if you can. That will tell you, to some degree, as you are shooting whether much fouling is being left behind. Weird vertical problems starting in the middle of a string is also a good indicator. This I learned the hard way.

I mostly use patches instead of the bore pigs, but sometimes I use them. They are quite fast which can be useful. The one thing that became quickly apparent when shooting in Phoenix was that the barrel got very hot very quickly and that my patches needed to be a lot wetter than when shooting elsewhere. Also, if it's hot and sunny, be careful how you touch the metal door on the bathrooms on the Berger Building.

I'm sure you'll have an excellent time. It's not likely that you will be paired with a master class shooter, but you can try and shoot at a firing position which is next to some very good shooters :D. Some shooters are pretty quiet when talking over the wind conditions, but others you'll be able to hear and listen to how they do things. It's a valuable way to get a handle on some of this stuff. In the pits you'll likely pick up a few things too. This match attracts some of the top shooters anywhere and you'll find them very happy to give pointers to a new guy.

Chris.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Well, he was right about the powder if he is really using Swiss 1.5.

The rest of it was sort of on track - 25 yrs ago.
stevewhr

Post by stevewhr »

Steve, that all seemed like really good advice. Hopefully you'll follow it. Maybe then I can beat your ass! Good luck in Phoenix by the way.
wyomingsightdrifter.com
BFD

Post by BFD »

stevewhr wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:43 am Steve, that all seemed like really good advice. Hopefully you'll follow it. Maybe then I can beat your ass! Good luck in Phoenix by the way.
I like the way you think. :)
stevewhr

Post by stevewhr »

I've shot with Steve on a number of occasions. He's no slouch. Very deliberate and each shot is done with purpose. He's going to surprise some folks in Phoenix I'm betting.
wyomingsightdrifter.com
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Having a place like this where I can learn from people who have "been there, done that" means an awful lot to me!
I sure appreciate all of your comments!
One thing I believe is that there is more than one combination of factors that works well.
And there are a LOT of combinations that don't work well.... (I have tried some of them!)

I have no expectations going to Phoenix for my first match other than to get some experience and have a good time, and meet some of you face to face.
And I won't be very disappointed if I come in last place...., but I always try to do my best.
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

There's one of those "experts" at every range.
Sam
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Well, maybe the 'ol fella wasn't so bad after all. Started with Swiss and have never looked back. Don't care if it costs a little more. Don't bowl, team rope, stop at the bar anymore. So I got enough extra cash to afford the best...
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

stevewhr wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:43 am Steve, that all seemed like really good advice. Hopefully you'll follow it. Maybe then I can beat your ass! Good luck in Phoenix by the way.
Don't forget, you have some responsibility for getting me started down this black powder road!

And you've beaten me enough times that I doubt if you're done doing it!
BFD

Post by BFD »

charlie young wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:00 pm Well, maybe the 'ol fella wasn't so bad after all. Started with Swiss and have never looked back. Don't care if it costs a little more. Don't bowl, team rope, stop at the bar anymore. So I got enough extra cash to afford the best...
You are a smart man, Charlie. ;l
BFD

Post by BFD »

charlie young wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:00 pm Well, maybe the 'ol fella wasn't so bad after all. Started with Swiss and have never looked back. Don't care if it costs a little more. Don't bowl, team rope, stop at the bar anymore. So I got enough extra cash to afford the best...
You are a smart man, Charlie. ;l
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

throw away his list, and make your own list.
most of what he advised is not good.
craigos

Post by craigos »

From my experience - the guys at the range offering all the advice are the guys who are usually full of crap. They need words to get attention , not their shooting. Seems to apply on the shotgun range, rifle range and archery range .....
BFD

Post by BFD »

craigos wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:02 pm From my experience - the guys at the range offering all the advice are the guys who are usually full of crap. They need words to get attention , not their shooting. Seems to apply on the shotgun range, rifle range and archery range .....
The internet
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Ya think? Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT