Clarification needed on 40-65 mold diameter

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rfd

Re: Clarification needed on 40-65 mold diameter

Post by rfd »

Clarence wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:04 am RFD,

My shoulder disagrees with you. With normal loads (420 gr. GG for .40-65, 540 gr GG for .45-70, with normal loads of 1.5Fg), there is a significant, ~20% difference in recoil, and it is noticeable.

Clarence
"this thing about fired recoil with these 19th century cartridge guns can be quite over exaggerated in most, but surely not all, cases."

there's a caveat to most things in life, and there are a host of mitigating issues with regards to felt rifle recoil.

cheers,
rob.
BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Trigger 1212, order a .409 bullet. You can run it into a lube sizer with a lube die at .409 just to lube it. You can pan lube it if you like. I have been lubing bullets in a lube sizer with reduced bands up front for 10 yrs. There will be a very small amount of extra lube on the reduced bands up front, I have not found that to be a problem. You can wipe it off if you like, or you can pan lube. If you don't like the way the .409 bullet shoots, get you a lube sizer die and size it to .408, but I don't think you will be doing that. You can not take a .408 bullet and make it .409. :wink: I would bet more shooters are using .409 than .408. I think that was the original question asked, but I'm not sure you ever got the answer.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Coltsmoke

I received a lot of great information, BUT you win the prize with your answer as it pretty much addresses exactly what I was asking. Thanks!

It’s funny how these things go, I was all hot and bothered when I originally wrote this as the rifle “was just around the corner!”. I wanted to be READY when it hit the door! Well just twern’t so. I contacted Shiloh shortly after writing the above and was told it would be a few months or so yet. Bummer, but not all bad news. In the scheme of things a few months actually IS “just around the corner” for a 77 order! :lol:

In addition it would have been crappy casting (unseated garage) and shooting wheather (no explaination needed there). Should be getting a notice soon, fully expecting it to be after April as I imagine production will grind to halt as the crew gets ready for NRA/Indy meeting. I’m in Illinois so I may have to round down there to say hello to Kirk. Now that I think about it I actually met Kirk at the NRA annual meeting there at Indy and he let me hold his 77’. Soon as I got home I placed my order. 5 years 1 month and 6 days goes by quick, but who’s counting! :lol:

PS A quick thank you to a couple of guys who are doing their dangdest to convert me to PP right out of the gate. Samples received, many thanks!

Cheers!
Wade
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

40 70 SS Shiloh. bore .400 grooves 408 as per Shiloh's word.
I've use Tapered .393 415 PP molds with A 9 pound paper and they slip in the case and the bore too. I slightly factory crimp all rounds to hold the bullet in.

I've just ordered a BA 409 400 GG, but I had them cut it to .408 with the first three bands smaller. SPG them and they are working well.
chamber easily even after 5 shots with blow tube.

Pan lube. I have a full setup for .410 sizing and found that the pan lube shot better. More testing to do, but pan lubing is easy.
go to Good Will and find an old hot plate for a buck...I found a Fondue pan and plate for $3. works perfectly. double boil, pour with tin can in a flat surface to the top groove.

many guys can show you better than I can.
TAA

Post by TAA »

My .40-70 2.5 Badger and Green Mountain barrels must have inside dimensions that are slightly larger than Shiloh barrels. I have a PJ Money type bullet with the two front bands slightly smaller. It drops out of the mold at 0.410”. I run it through a 0.412” sizing die just to apply the SPG. I did some group testing at 200-meters with 0.408” and 0.409” dia. sized bullets and they did not equal the 0.410” size.

FWIW

Tom
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

that could be. because I had the same result in the Shiloh using the 410 sizing die. the gun 'seems' to like the 'as cast and lubed' bullets.
I would think the .410 die would work better, but so far no...more testing to come of course.
ALWAYS MORE TESTING. hence the fun! Ken