Henry Rifling

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Coltsmoke

Henry Rifling

Post by Coltsmoke »

Has anyone tried a barrel with Henry Rifling for our sport? I wonder what type wad would work best with it. Look on Buffalo Arms at their rifle barrels and you will find a diagram of the Henry Rifling. https://www.buffaloarms.com/krieger-hen ... -kri4516ah
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
martinibelgian

Re: Henry Rifling

Post by martinibelgian »

Shoot em all the time in my military rifles. After, that's why they were called Martini-Henry.... And I just use card wads, and a lube cookie, nothing special. That's in 577-450, of course.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

would the sharp points be more susceptible to wiping rod damage than conventional rifling.
maybe 5r canted land rifling might be a compromise, particularly for bore diameter bullets.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Fwiw, I would never consider Henry rifling for a new rifle, if you want something different, go with Metford segmental or multigroove rigby, even Lancaster oval bore. The Henry rifling has lots of angles, pretty hard to clean.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Coltsmoke,
Remember my W&C Scott&Sons #1 .450 express double rifle I brought up last Sept? That has Henry rifling, it was loaded with 110gr. Swiss 1.5, lube wad and a 330 gr p.p. bullet. We shot it around 20 times that day with no cleaning between shots. And when we were finished, I ran one patch and the second was clean, remember? I don't know much about Henry rifling, but I do now it shoots very clean and it was in a lot of the top end English and Irish target and sporting rifles of the day.
And by design it cuts the paper on p.p.bullets very well.
Tom
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I have two rifles with Henry rifles: a Connecticut Militia Peabody in 45-60 and an original Meacham Sharps, also in 45-70. Both shoot very well and are no more difficult to clean than "conventional" rifling.

George
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Look again at the diagram on BA, all I see is rounded humps, a small rounded hump then a wider rounded hump then a small rounded hump on the other side of the wider hump and it just repeats, small then wide then small then wide. I don't see any sharp angles at all in the rifling. I see a lot of lines just showing measurements about the rifling, but no sharp angles. Looks like to me it would be easier to clean. What kind of fin would be pushed off the base of the bullet due to the wide hump? Just wondering. It would be interesting to see the base of a bullet fired in the barrels. O.K. Tom, go dig one up.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Coltsmoke,
Your closer than I am, there in the pig bank at Riverbend..... :lol: