26 inch barrel for silhouettes

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

R Allen

26 inch barrel for silhouettes

Post by R Allen »

I would imagine this has been brought before, I'm just not having much luck finding it.
I'm looking at buying a good bpcr for trying my hand at silhouettes. Could a guy with a 1874 45/70 Shiloh with a 26 inch barrel be competitive in silhouettes? I know there's allot more to it than barrel length, working up loads, lots of trigger time etc. Thanks, Robbie
rgchristensen

Re: 26 inch barrel for silhouettes

Post by rgchristensen »

ROBBIE:
Your satisfaction with most rifles will depend on the weight. If a 45-70 is not right up to the 12# limit, it will get tiresome to shoot. My own opinion is that .40 cal is the best choice for silhouette, tho one many-time national champ uses a 45-90. I'm thinking that a 26" rifle may well be a light hunting rifle, which will slap you around a bit.
CHRIS
RGChristensen
BFD

Post by BFD »

I'm sure you can make a 26" work and be competitive, but why so short? Are you trying to optimize around shooting more chickens? If so, that may be a very good strategy.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

You could certainly compete with a 26" barrel. If that is what you have then go with it. If you are looking to purchase one you should look for a 30" barrel. Make sure it makes weight with sights. I started with a 28" barrelled Sharps 45/70 that weighed 10 lb 2 oz. and after a few years I was doing well with it. After a 2 day 120 shot regional I was feeling a little beat up. I switched to a 40/65 and have never been sorry. I still shoot a 45/70 in competition sometimes but not not very often.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
R Allen

Post by R Allen »

Here's why I'm asking.
Back in 2015 I was looking at it getting into bpcr, I bought an unfired Pedrosoli 45/70, I was working allot and didnt have much time to work with it. I did manage to invest in 200 each win., star line and Rem. brass, dies including Redding competition seating, compression dies, several expander dies etc. As well as a Brooks and baco moulds.So I'm pretty well set up for 45 cal. Also from what I've studied 45/70 is good to start with for various reasons.
Well before I did much with it , I came across a couple of bumps in the road of life. Long story, short I had to sell the rifle. But still have all the reloading toys.
Now I'm looking at starting over and need a rifle. I would like to find a good used Shiloh or C sharps (looks like a bunch of folks do) but I don't want to wait for new. I am recently retired and ready to get started.
From my research I would like a 30 inch barrel, but might have to settle for another length so I'm looking for advice on the 26 inch for silhouettes.
Thank you, Robbie
BFD

Post by BFD »

Your logic is pretty faultless. .45-70 for sure. I doubt you would have to settle for a 26" barrel. most are 30 or 32. 34" might be over weight for BPCR.

The more important issue, in my opinion, is the stock configuration. The #1 Express, Longrange and the Creedmoor have high combs. This is going to work MUCH better than the long drop at the heel that is found on the #3 sporter and some of the others. When you run the tang sight or scope up to 500 meter zeros or out to 1000 yds if you get the itch, the straighter stock will be very welcome.

Oh, and watch the gun inventory room at https://shilohrifle.com/gun-inventory-room/

You might be able to buy one over the counter so to speak. In fact, if you called, they might tell of one that is soon to become available that way but hasn't been listed yet.

Just tryin' to get you to the line asap... :)
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

28 or 30, I would probably be leaning toward a 45-70 with a 28" barrel, wouldn't turn my back on a good deal with a 30" barrel.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Contact Bill Goodman the wait would be shortened for a brand new rifle.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Keep an eye on that link Brent provided. About once a month they put up about 1/2 dozen or so rifles, but you got to be quick , they go pretty fast.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Check over on Guns International under Sharps Replicas. Sometimes there are suitable rifles listed there.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Just for your information...as Brent and Don indicated...there are three Montana Roughriders currently in inventory. 1 with a 28" bbl..the others in 30" ... all standard weight. They look nice... and they are ready to go. :)

rgds..J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
BFD

Post by BFD »

J.B. wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:52 pm Just for your information...as Brent and Don indicated...there are three Montana Roughriders currently in inventory. 1 with a 28" bbl..the others in 30" ... all standard weight. They look nice... and they are ready to go. :)

rgds..J.B.
These are all standard weight barrels so the guns will be on the light side I think. Definitely go with the 30" barrels in that instance. I would also want to know the drop in the stock.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

My #1 45-70 with a 32 inch standard weight barrel weighs just a tad over 11 lbs.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

get the 30 inch barrel ,shoots great and better resale art
R Allen

Post by R Allen »

Live and learn, the day before those rifles came available on Shilohs site I placed a bid on rock island auction. The rifle lot doesn't come up until the 14th.
Doubt my bid will win but if I bought one of those Roughriders, I'm afraid ol' Murphy would show up and apply "The Law" , thus putting 2 45/70 holes in my budget.
But thanks for all the good advice, and if these gone by the 14th, I'll be ready next month.