pan lube

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kenny s

pan lube

Post by kenny s »

OK, with nothing to think about today,
I've ordered yet another mold for my 40 70 SS Shiloh. 400.408
I have a BA money 400 grain dual diameter bullet on order.
Kidwell money bullet 409 400 M4, but cut with a .408 base not .409.
going for groove diameter with 16 to 1 cast.

I was going to run them through the 410 sizing die to lube them, but thought the reduced front bands
may cause a problem, and pan lubing may be needed.

SO. tell me about the 'tricks' you use to pan lube. with SPG. dluble boil lube, etc. send picts too please.
tks...Ken
AzTBH

Re: pan lube

Post by AzTBH »

Kenny

You stated that "I have a BA money 400 grain dual diameter bullet on order."

The BA webpage doesn’t list a Dual-Diameter mold, so is your mold a custom order? If so, could you provide a few details (i.e. OAL, diameters, and paper selection). I am early in my Dual Diameter adventure, so I will be following your future posts to read how the 400 grain performs at the longer ranges (i.e. 1000 yards) with your 1-16 twist.

Thanks and Good Shooting,
Ross
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Use a fired, unsized case like a 'cookie-cutter', with the primer drilled out to use a 1/8" dowel to remove the bullet from the lube cake. Use the dowel to push the bullet out of the case........
Melt lube using a double boiler setup ONLY.
NEVER direct heat or microwave the lube.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

I have found the handiest way to lube tapered or 2-diameter bullets is with the classic "lube pump". Push the bullet in, turn the handle, push the bullet back out, done.

CHRIS
RGChristensen
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

I have found the handiest way to lube tapered or 2-diameter bullets is with the classic "lube pump". Push the bullet in, turn the handle, push the bullet back out, done.

CHRIS
RGChristensen
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

Ross, the mold on order is a Buff. Arms 409400M4 Kidwell money bullet
first three bands are 'reduced' and the final band is .408. I'm having it cut to 408 not 409.
have to wait...but it will be groove diameter in the rear, and bore .400 diameter on top.
this should allow me to load it out far enough to use 67 grains of OE 1 1/2 in the JBA case.
I'm going to cast it 16 to 1 not the 20 to 1 that I use for PP bullets.

more to come when I get it casting and shooting.

I also have a dual diameter PP with the front at .393 and the rear larger to get the
same bore riding front and groove rear. It casts a 360 PP with 20 to 1. so far accuracy is good.

I can't shoot at anything longer than 100 here in Venice FL, so long ranges testing is out.

Ken
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I pan lube that bullet all the time and don't do anything different than I do with any other bullets.

Chris.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Ken, who made the dual diameter paper patch mold for you? - Mike
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

mike,
Accurate Mould $123 total, including shipping 360 PP custom designed by me, two diameters. iron block, well done..... throws exactly 360 weight bullets in 1 in 20 as I requested. ONE WEEK DELIVERY FROM NET ORDER TO MAILBOX. nice mold, quick, and well done. 'nuff said.... Ken
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

Crash Landing

Post by Crash Landing »

Ken
Here is an overview of how I have been pan lubing. Works great with SPG and SPG Tropic (any other lube also).
Randy Wright
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy W
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

To add to this I let my lube take a set enough to barely get firm, then put it in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. Then I remove it and extract the bullets as above. .If left in too long they are harder to remove.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

hey crash. good picture and idea.
I'll do that,..
Now if the darn mold will come! BA said four weeks and it's been that now...

I'm was an only child.
I LIKE IT, I WANT IT, AND I WANT IT NOW!
DD789

Post by DD789 »

Crash Landing wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:14 pm Ken
Here is an overview of how I have been pan lubing. Works great with SPG and SPG Tropic (any other lube also).
Randy Wright
Great picture and info. I am new to this and was wondering how to do it. I have a new Shiloh Sharps 45-110
and am just starting to load for it. If you buy pre- lubed bullets are they lubed enough or should you pan lube
them anyway?

Thanks, Eric
Crash Landing

Post by Crash Landing »

Eric
From your tag line, I take it you served on the USS Eversole. I'm guessing Vietnam era?
Having not ever purchased pre-lubed bullets for BPCR I can't really say if yours need to be more lube. I suggest you shot some of them to find out. No point in doing rework if you don't have to.
For years I have routinely pan lubed bullets for the grease groove bullets I shoot especially tapered ones. It is a bit more work to pan lube than use a lubrisizer but is more effective IMO.
Randy W