Swiss 3Fg in .40 caliber

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Re: Swiss 3Fg in .40 caliber

Post by TexasMac »

Coltsmoke wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:05 am TexasMac, your 72gr. load had how much compression and what wad did you use in it?
How much more powder will WW brass hold in a .40 compared to Starline?
0.110" of compression with a 0.060" fiber wad.

Concerning brass capacity, with all things being equal, same brass length, powder compression, etc., I know Win. .45-70 brass has 4.2% more capacity than Starline .45-70 brass. I assume the percentage difference would be about the same for .40 caliber. Here's an analysis I did on .45-70 brass some time ago http://www.texas-mac.com/Comparison_of_ ... Brass.html. See the chart at the bottom of the article.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Which brass were you using Wayne for the 72gr. load?
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Coltsmoke wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:34 am Which brass were you using Wayne for the 72gr. load?
Remington reformed from .45-70.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Coltsmoke,
My load in the FF WW cases of 75 gr Swiss 1.5 is maybe 0.050" to 0.075" compression
in combination with 0.060" LDPE wads. My 371 Gr DDEPP bullet seats about 0.125" into case at most.
Shot from my 30" K&P 16 twist barreled rebuilt orig HiWall.
Load with this powder in FF R-P brass is about 72 gr.
This is with a very dense lot of Swiss 1.5 from a few yrs ago: Lot number 160.404
Happens to be same as a lot that Dan T was working with, to good effect.
More recent lots are not as dense....
beltfed/arnie
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Thanks for the info. guys.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

BFD wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:49 pm Someday, Wayne, you will come over into the light and travel the Paper Patch Way. :)
Hey Brent,

Don’t hold your breath.

BTW, since interest in this thread seems to have died, I'm going to get way off the subject. I've been meaning to ask you how the honey crop was last year? You may remember some time ago we had a few discussions on bee keeping & "robbing” bees, which I did as a youngster in the late 50’s & early 60’s working from my Grandfather and Father, around 700 hives at one time, in Central Texas.

Wayne
BFD

Post by BFD »

The honey crop was terrible last year. I got a little less than one super off of each of my colonies. Some years, I have gotten 5. I am not sure why. Last winter I lost all of my bees so had to start with nukes this year, so the colonies weren't super huge early in the summer. However, they should have done better. Now I'm worried that this year's extra cold weather will have killed them off again. Won't know for a while yet. They are currently wrapped in 1.5" of foamboard insulation and then a layer of hay bales. They should be okay, but it's hard to say for sure. And early spring would not be a bad thing for them but we have afoot of snow still.
hepburnman

Post by hepburnman »

I've been meaning to reply on this thread, so here goes. I was using Swiss 3 Fg in the 40-65 to get as much velocity as possible using the theory "the faster the better". I still like this theory but using 70 gr of 3 Fg (requiring 0.3" of compression) would heat the barrel up quite a bit during hot summer days the fouling would start to cake up in the barrel. I wipe between shots sometimes requiring 2 wipes.

I have since switched to 70 gr of Swiss 1.5 Fg and get less barrel heating and the fouling so far does not cake up in the barrel. I do not see an accuracy difference. Not sure how much less velocity I am getting but I'm probably still up around 1250 fps and maybe it doesn't matter (this is in a 14.5 gain-twist barrel). I also worry about mirage coming off of a hot barrel (I takes pains to minimize this too).