BA bullet size 40 70 SS

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kenny s

BA bullet size 40 70 SS

Post by kenny s »

I've just cast the first bullets from my BA 409400M4 mold. I had it cut with the 3 reduced front bands and then the rear cut to .408, not .409 as advertised on line. They are great for custom molds. four weeks and it's here. I cast 1/16 for the groove bullet.
I ran them through a .408 sizing die, SPG, it works fine. lubes the groves without sizing, nice and neat.

I then loaded my JBA 40 70 SS cases with the 67 grains. ( I'm going to 2f instead of 1 1/2 OE)
I found that to seat the bullet in the correct spot, I used 63 grains. with 67 I have to push them in the lands and the bullet shows the marks.
Shiloh Sharps 74, 40 70SS 400/408 diameters.
one plastic wad and two newspaper wads over that.
slight compression. about 1/16 .

slight tweak with the factory crimp die and they slide into the chamber with a very slight push.
They seat just short of the lands.

FYI for you guys thinking about this mold.

I'll post the results when I can go to the range.

Ken
X007

Re: BA bullet size 40 70 SS

Post by X007 »

Look forward to hearing about your results. I have a, new to me, Shiloh Sharps #1 in 40-70 SS. Waiting on brass to become available. Just looks good on the rifle rest in my office for the moment............
kenny s

Re: BA bullet size 40 70 SS

Post by kenny s »

Ok , not the best targets. I tried 63 and 65 2f and the bullet cast 1 16

groups were only 4 inches .
first shots with it though...much more testing to come.

I did find the 2f cleaner than the 1 1/2 OE..so I'll stick with 2f.
the groups are round so I could be just me. I don't like my shooting rest. heavy cast thing but it moves on each shot sideways.
I'm trying a tight PULL back hold and the groups got smaller.

the 2f with the 415PP bullet worked well...more testing there too.

so....I'm planning on expanding my shells 'slightly' to allow the grooved bullet to be hand seated tight against the powder.
I've used one poly and 2 newspaper and will continue doing that.. factory crimp die very slightly by feel
the 65 2f (all hand weighed of course) was better using the same compression setting, so it seems to likes to be compressed.