Chamber terminology

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Coyote Chris

Chamber terminology

Post by Coyote Chris »

I have a good friend...a nice young man of 27...state trooper...loves hunting, guns, reloading, and historical weapons , etc. but he has never shot BPCR. Now he has bought a replica of a 1884 Carbine in what? 45-70. And I am going to teach him how to reload for gun with black.

So I made up a school of talking points. But in my school where I describe chambers, I found out I have no idea what the official term is for the area just in front of the case mouth that takes the chamber size to free bore size. I have heard "Shoulder, case transistion, neck, and step". What is the official term?
[attachment=0]throat.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BFD

Re: Chamber terminology

Post by BFD »

There is no official term. Many think there is, but they do not uniformly agree with each other. Use a diagram and one set of vocabulary used consistently and you will communicate. Throat, leade, freebore, etc are all viable terms, but a diagram in unequivocal.
Coyote Chris

Post by Coyote Chris »

Wow...who knew? I suspect there was one term used in the feral govt arsenals, still another in private industry, and still more in other countries.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Coyote Chris wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 pm Wow...who knew? I suspect there was one term used in the feral govt arsenals, still another in private industry, and still more in other countries.
What you say may well be true, but this is none of those places. This is the Wild Web and here, anything goes.