Poly wads...which side up?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tomklinger

Re: Poly wads...which side up?

Post by Tomklinger »

WOW! Mark IS talking to us common folks, I feel so special!! :D
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Sorry about stealing your thread, didn't mean to, Mark do the test man, flip those wads.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
MAH

Post by MAH »

Now that the peanut gallery has roasted me a bit, lets steer this thread back to it's original content.

A number of years ago this same question came up on this forum. Many a key board expert stated their factual opinion. We all know about opinions, 50% half truths, 45% B.S. 5% unknown. I do not remember the finial out come of the debate. But it boils down to the same answer with these black powder rifles what does the rifle like. Ole Coltsmoke, does more testing than most shooters here. Some of the data that he has will surprise you. We have had many a conversation about most topics. At the end of the day I am lazy when it comes to poly wads, just put the bevel side down. The heat from the fired powder charge will soften it a touch and the wad will conform. So you all have a great day!

With Blessings,

MAH
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Afraid I'm going to have to call BS on this wad thing. But, I still know guys who index their primers, so who knows?
CBarnard

Post by CBarnard »

I wonder which way up they put them in the late 1800's 🤔
labop

Post by labop »

I did some limited testing, firing 7 shot groups each of three powder weights in load development of my 40-65. That was 21 shots with the 0.060” poly wad radiused side up and 21 with the radiused side down. Wind was 2mph from 6 so I didn’t make any sight adjustment for groups at 300 yards. The radiused side up gave a ¼ minute better groups on average and the radius down gave 1 fps better velocity on average. SD was 5 and 7 respectively. So it’s a draw. Not enough testing to cause me to go either way.
One thing I did find, two wads measuring 0.415-0.417. They were stuck together. I caught this on the radius up insertion as they wouldn’t fit. If I had been putting them in radius side down they would have gone in with slightly more force. That maybe a point to use the radius up. These normally run 0.410 for this brand. I could have mixed the two brands when returning unused wads to storage. I know from previous testing that oversize wads do not give as consistent performance as ones near bore diameter, mixed with 0.410, SD and accuracy would probably be even worse.
labop