Safety Procedures/Rules

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DeadEye

Re: Safety Procedures/Rules

Post by DeadEye »

Thank you John, a voice from the real world of BPCR Silhouette. Well said.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

A blow tube inserted into the breech works the best for an OBI,when an OBI is required.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I like to clean my rifle after every animal and at our next match we will have 4 relays to give everyone time...especially the poor souls like me who paint targets, call the line and try to shoot.

Trying to do all those things at once has us on the run, so good, sound safety rules keeps me safe also.

The "no readily accessible ammo" while handling a firearm in a "safe area'" is a universal firearm rule. To comply I think a simple closure of the ammunition box is a good, safe compromise and we'll require that to happen at our matches. Shooters have PLENTY of time to do their business safely and then get ready for their relay.
We will require an OBI and no horizontal carry of a rifle while moving from area to area .

I worked in an extremely hazardous profession and good, sound policy and rules, that were being constantly revamped and made better, kept many good folks and many bad folks from getting killed or at least badly hurt.

Most policy and rule modifications in my career were to limit vicarious liability up the chain.
I have faced a Federal Lawsuit in excess of One Million dollars. GOOD sound policy, rules and documentation caused that action to be immediately dismissed.

No... one rule might not make a group completely safe...but the presence and knowledge of that/those rules will certainly mitigate MY liability and that of the gun club, in the event of an incident and might just save one life.

I feel like my discovery last year of a loaded firearm on a table in the BPCR cleaning area, placed there by a veteran BPCR shooter with a big ole "for sale" sign on it probably prevented a bad incident from taking place. I really like the guy that did that...but with good rules in place it will be the violation of a Safety rule that gets him/her DQ'd from the match.

Our matches will have the rule "no readily accessible ammunition" while cleaning/maintaining their rifle which will have an open action with an OBI inserted and the muzzle pointed up...Just like what's required at the nationals in Raton.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Can you please explain to me how you clean a BPCR with an OBI inserted and the muzzle pointed up? I hate to tell you this, but you are beginning to sound like a control freak trying to cover his ass. While you are at it, you might consider requiring shooters to wear a broad brimmed hat when on the firing line to try to prevent sunburn, or worse, skin cancer. rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Here we go. Everyone have a safe weekend.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
22Ballard

Post by 22Ballard »

rdnck - x2
22Ballard

Post by 22Ballard »

"Our matches will have the rule "no readily accessible ammunition" while cleaning/maintaining their rifle which will have an open action with an OBI inserted and the muzzle pointed up...Just like what's required at the nationals in Raton."

Can you explain how I can clean/maintain my rifle on the cleaning table with the muzzle pointing up? I've never seen this at the nationals, going back to my first time there in 1994.