New Brass

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ian45662

Re: New Brass

Post by ian45662 »

That’s why I stretch my brass and probably why I have never had any paper rings.
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Lots of good advice. I’ve annealed my brass and am ready to fire-form. I’ve three choices with the bullets I have on hand. (1) Unique, (2) 777, (3) black powder. All three choices use a powder coated 405 grainer. Don’t want to use smokeless on my Sharps so Option 1 is low on the list. I do not want to waste the black to fire form so option 3 isn’t too high on the list either. If I use 777 and powder coated bullets, What are your opinions about using a lubed wool wad?
bobw

Post by bobw »

Why do you think just because your fireforming that you won't get acceptable accuracy? Black powder is the best f the rest. bobw
bobw
bobw

Post by bobw »

Why do you think just because your fireforming that you won't get acceptable accuracy? Black powder is the best f the rest. bobw
bobw
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Bob is right. Just load them with BP and shoot. There will be very little difference between new cases and cases shot a couple of times with the .45-70.

Just don't trim them. They will likely shrink noticeably after 2 or so firings. It's a pretty rare thing to have .45-70 brass that is too long :D

Chris.
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

I may be over thinking this whole thing, but I know accuracy is a result from consistency. A fire-formed case has a different volume; therefore, the amount of powder or compression must change to get the same cartridge OAL. I enjoy the ease of reloading Black when I thumb seat a bullet. A quick taper crimp is all that’s needed to keep a bullet from being pulled if I unload a cartridge. Cases life is extended and accuracy isn’t an issue. My best groups to date, using either a 560 or 420 grain bullet have been thumb seated.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I don't think that black powder is nearly as sensitive to these little volume changes as smokeless might be. I suggest annealing those cases and then using an expander die the same diameter as your bullet and you should get very similar results to your current slip fitting load.

Chris.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

load and shoot! its trigger time for you on your new rifle art
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Castaway wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:52 am I may be over thinking this whole thing
You R....... :P
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

I've had paper rings a couple of times and talked to Kirk about it. He said don't worry, they don't hurt a thing.
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Ended up loading a full charge of powder under some 405 grain powder-coated bullets I’d been given previously and lubed with Gato-Feo’s concoction. Shot 25, hopefully do another 25 tomorrow. Saving 50 for later. For annealing, I dimmed the lights and used the set-up described by kenny s. Thanks all for the advice and suggestions