Help With 45-90 Reloading

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Nick B

Help With 45-90 Reloading

Post by Nick B »

It’s been 15 years since I’ve loaded for or shot any BPCR. I have a #1 in 45-90 but I’ve lost all of my reloading notes for it so I have a few questions and this is what I have to work with .
Brass: Starline 45-90
Powder: Goex 2F
Mold : Paul Jones 540 grain .
So to get back into the game can one of you 45-90 shooters give me a ballpark figure on how many grains and how much compression you are using ?
Also I know there’s better powder out today but I have a whole case of the Goex that needs to be shot up first .
Thanks in advance.
Michael Johnson

Re: Help With 45-90 Reloading

Post by Michael Johnson »

I used to load Goex powdering both my 45-70 and my 45-100. For starters I would fill a primed case to the rim with either 2Fg or 3Fg, card it off level with the top of the case, dump it on a scale and measure the weight. That will be your starter load. Take that much powder and drop tube it into a primed case slowly (it will take a little less volume by doing this). Place a 0.030 wad on top of the powder and compress it using a compression die just enough that a seated bullet will chamber in the rifle. Goex powder likes to be compressed up to about 0.300 in. You can add 0.5 grains at a time to subsequent loads to find what the rifle likes. Seat the bullet right on the rifling for starters. Use a good bullet lube (SPG or DGL), Blow tube three or four long breaths between shots. I like CCIBR2 primers and 0.030 or 0.060 LDPE wads, with a newsprint wad under the bullet. Now go make some smoke!
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Fill the case till you have to compress powder and wad about .350" to seat the bullet to the top band.
Goex, likes to be squeezed.......
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Either approach will start you on the road to recovery. Welcome back.
Is there a range in Collier County where you can shoot past 200 yards?
With the humidity there hard fouling should be less of a problem then out West.

Redneck on this forum was a lot of help back when I started with Goex. Maybe he will chime in.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Nick B

Post by Nick B »

Thanks to all that have replied . Yes we now have a new gun club with a 1100 yard rifle range with steel targets every 100 yards . Overhead cover for the benches is being built now . Our old gun range was bought out 15 years ago by a developer who built condos on the land . That’s why I haven’t shot my 45-90 in 15 years . We had no place to shoot .
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Fantastic News, what is the name of the new range, where is it located. What organization is in charge of the range?

Ever hear of Have Gun Will Travel ?
Nick B

Post by Nick B »

Tradecraftrange.com .
Haven’t heard of Have Gun.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Have Gun Will Travel February 26, 2020

Place rifle in sturdy hard case on back floor board of car.

Secure loaded ammunition in purpose designed cases, preferably four boxes, 100 rounds to the box.

Place all shooting materials in trunk with toothbrush

Take I-75 North to I-10 West near White Springs, take Exit 223 to Ben Avery Shooting Facility Phoenix Arizona, arrive by February 29th

Shoot for 14 straight days or until you run out of ammo.

Take I-10 East to I-75, take I-75 South to Naples arriving March by 18th

By the way, I am thinking about doing an informational article for Black Powder Cartridge News on loading the 45-90 for long range.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

I would look forward to reading that article, if you write it. Have two 90's to load for, both very different chamber dimensions.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I finished first draft of the article today. Right now it is being scrutinized by someone that actually passed high school English.
With any luck it will show up in the next issue of Black Powder Cartridge News.