Getting ready for Raton

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Getting ready for Raton

Post by TexasMac »

Just finished 200 cartridges for the big bore BPCR scope silhouette matches. Although I enjoy casting & reloading almost as much as shooting, working up 200 loads at one time does get a little tedious. That in itself might discourage those considering shooting both iron and scope.

For those of you going that have not left yet, remember, if you're going up in elevation as will I (from Central Texas), the plastic bottles of liquid, cleaning solution, etc. will swell up & potentially rupture if filled too full. And when you open them up at the match & the pressure equalizes, don’t forget to expect the opposite when you arrive home.

See you on the line.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
BFD

Re: Getting ready for Raton

Post by BFD »

Liquid will not swell appreciably, but and gas (air) over the liquid will try to. Liquids are not very compressible. :!
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

BFD wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:46 pm Liquid will not swell appreciably, but and gas (air) over the liquid will try to. Liquids are not very compressible. :!
Good point Brent,

That's a fact I seem to have forgotten until you reminded me. So the answer is to fill the bottles, & I take back my earlier comment about them rupturing if too full . Thanks.

Wayne
[/quote]
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
BFD

Post by BFD »

Exactly. Fill them and you will have no troubles - as long as they are not water and they freeze. Not likely in Raton, though it is spectacularly cool and nice.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Been on the road for two days. Should arrive around 1300 hrs today. Only 300 miles to go. Nine shooting days between five different matches. The rear of the truck should lift an inch or so for the return trip.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Hey Woody, still at zero flat tires for the trip?
Shoot well!
Woody

Post by Woody »

Don't jinx me!

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Naah, I'm thinking only positive thoughts! Smooth sailing!
BFD

Post by BFD »

Al busted a tire but didnt discover it until he got here.
Maj. Forrest Smith

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

Al has had a long trip getting to Raton this year! Bless his heart!
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

May I ask :?: -What is the altitude(ASL)of this range :?:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:14 am May I ask :?: -What is the altitude(ASL)of this range :?:
Gary
Gary,

A quick Internet search says:
Encompassing 33,300 acres ranging from 6,300 to 8,100 feet in elevation, Center visitors experience breathtaking views, outstanding climate, hospitality and an array of family activities such as hiking, bird watching, wildlife viewing, and camping.

Therefore I'm assuming the various ranges are around 6,300 +/- ft. in elevation, which is about 5,600 higher than where I live in Central Texas.

Wayne
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

TNX Wayne :!:
With my CHF that's higher than my Doc wants me to be..........
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Maj. Forrest Smith

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

Lumpy, should you go, make sure to go a few days ahead of time to get use to the altitude. Don't beat yourself up driving long hard days either. Where you might be coming from sea level, you will feel it for a few days and get a touch winded. I come from about 1,000 ft in elevation here in Oklahoma. I just try not to do a lot for the first few days and take my time doing what little I do! But you get to set up fairly close from your vehicle and they use target setters, it is not to bad. The view is great, people are great and the range is amazing. Hope you can make it some day!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

A factor, I live a approximately 4,000 foot elevation. The pits on Tubb Range as I recall are at 6,600 foot elevation and I too can feel the difference in exertion and breathing, AND, hunting at 9,000 foot elevation takes four days to get used to it.

So Lumpy, Phoenix should be a snap for you elevation wise.

Raton and Phoenix both you can park at your firing point
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!