My new Shiloh 40-70 SS

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

John Bly

My new Shiloh 40-70 SS

Post by John Bly »

I finally got out to shoot my new Shiloh '74 in 40-70 SS. Sunday was hot and windy but we were in the shade. I put 40 rounds through it starting at 50 yds to get a sight setting then moving on out to 188 yds. That's as long as I can shoot on my property. It has a 14" twist and the heavier bullets I shot the better it shot. Here it is sitting on the shooting bench.
40-70 SS Shiloh.jpg
Here's a target shot with bullets weighing nearly 450 grains. It was windy and my first 5 shots scored a 50-2X. I got cocky and didn't pay as much attention to the wind and the results is plain to see.
40-70 SS Shiloh.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Eric Johanen

Re: My new Shiloh 40-70 SS

Post by Eric Johanen »

Very nice looking rifle and look's to be a real shooter! May I ask what the load was? I'd for sure keep that one.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

It was a Brooks bullet, bore riding nose, tapered bands, postell nose shape weighing nearly 450 grains. I shot it with 58 grains of Swiss 1 1/2. This was my new lot of powder which weighs 2 grains less than my old powder. I only had about .050" compression. It was with Hornady 405 brass that I bought used. I had to full length size it to get it to chamber. It had been neck turned but not far enough for the bullet I had so I had to turn it farther back to get it to chamber. Some of the cases needed reduced in diameter right in front of the rim to chamber also. This outing was just to get to shoot it and fireform the brass and get some basic sight settings. I was very pleased with the performance and I think with some load development it will be a top performer.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Very nice looking rifle, congratulations, and looks to be a very good shooter. Look forward to more pictures of the rifle and future targets, and load information.

What wad are you using?
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

IMG_2734 (2).JPG
These 40 70 SS guns are fun to shoot.
my load as posted many time is
67 1 1/2 (now using Swiss)
PP 418 grain cast 1/20 , BA .400 as patched round nose. .393 bullet.
slides into the bore and I can seat it out as far as I want.
compression only 1/78, now trying 1/16 with the Swiss
one veggie wad .060

I have shot 1 1/4 inch groups at 100 when I do m y part.
nice gun....luck with it..
Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

by th way. BA has cases,
I've am using.
JBA and 30 40 craig from a couple of mfg.
all work well.
Ken
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I had Brooks make me a mold for my 40-70SS a few years ago that resembles those specs.
Bore riding Postell type nose, tapered first two bands, casts @ 440gr in 20:1.
I got it for long range matches out to 1000 yards, got sick of running out of windage when the Westerlies were howling.
Made a big difference but getting a .45-90 built made a bigger difference. :lol:
Shiloh 40-70SS.jpg
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia