Finally got to shoot the new Shiloh.

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ian45662

Finally got to shoot the new Shiloh.

Post by ian45662 »

Got to shoot my first groups with the new Shiloh. After the first 5 shots I was so excited I had to get a photo before I screwed up the group. After that I shot 5 more. I didn’t screw it up to bad. This was at 200 yards. May be the easiest load workup I have ever done. Now to get out to a match and see what happens. https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... fit=bounds https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... fit=bounds https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... fit=bounds
Lumpy Grits

Re: Finally got to shoot the new Shiloh.

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Tell us about the rifle, and your load. 8)
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

16 twist 45/70. The bullet is what I call Brent’s bullet. 1.51” long “elliptical” bullet. Alloy 14:1 patched to .450. 84 grains of Swiss 1.5 .060 polly wad. Fed large pistol match primer. I guess it’s also worth mentioning this is their standard chamber.
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

Excellent group Ian. Brent, Kenny, Arnie Sietz and Jim Kluskens should get an award for helping introduce people to paper patching. Listen to what these men say and your scores will go up. It's working so well for me that two of my competiters have converted to paper patching. If only some one would come up with a laser guided chicken bullet.

HG
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I have had a lot of help over the past few years from a few other paper patchers. It has saved me a lot of time and money. They very first group I ever shot with PP 4 or 5 years ago was 10” @100 yards.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Very close to my load, same twist, same bullet, yours is only .010 longer. I'm using 16-1 and a .030 poly wad, same primer. Lights out! Did you get the parts you ask me about?
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Colts smoke I have not moved on that project yet. I need to rearrange my reloading room slightly to accommodate that. When work isnt so crazy I will concert it. Probably this “off season” Which will start after the shoot down your way towards the end of October and into November.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

TNX Ian for the info :!:
I wonder how that 1/16 would do with a GG Creedmoor or Postel :?:
Gary
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... fit=bounds I shot this 5 years ago. With my c sharps highwall. It has a green mountain 16 twist 45/70 barrel on it. The bullet is a 540 grain Creedmoor from Steve brooks. 67 grains of OE 1.5. I have never been able to get this rifle to shoot a 10 shot paper patch group this tight but for whatever reason on the sillywets my paper patch loads preformed better and more consistently than the Creedmoor did
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Tnx for the information :!:
All I shoot is GG.
Gary
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

A friend of mine has a 16 twist barrel for his cpa. It’s chambered in 45/90. He shoots greasers out of it. He is shooting a bullet as long as the one I am shooting. He is also using 84 grains of Swiss 1.5 and it shoots very well for him. He cleaned the sticks with it last Sunday.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

ian,
it is pleasing to see you using 14:1.
too many are scared to go harder than 16:1 due to a lack of desire to experiment.
I believe that 12:1 is a good alloy for pp bullets as well, and that it holds nose shape better, thus having a little less drop at longer ranges.
the drop in itself is not an issue, but it also translates into reduced wind deflection which can mean scoring an extra point.
the odg used 10:1 to 14:1 almost totally, and considered experimenting in this area well worthwhile.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
BFD

Post by BFD »

Bruce, who is scared of 14:1? I have never heard of such foolishness.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

FWIW,
I have been using my 9+1 ww/lino alloy of approx : 94.5% Lead, 4.5% Antimony, 1% tin for years both for
my Elliptical nosed PP and GG bullets. They shoot very well when I do my part,
and No chance of slumping, No leading for the GGs
beltfed/arnie
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I was actually a little surprised to see how much 14:1 would bump up. One of these days I will try 12:1 and see how it does. I have mixed up several batches of 14 though and each batch has been close to 120 pounds. I like it for this bullet. I’ll need to put in an order for more tin soon.