RCBS Easy Melt Pot

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

RCBS Easy Melt Pot

Post by SSShooter »

Anyone been using the RCBS Easy Melt pot? Their newer model with the PID controller built-in. If so, what do you think? Working well for you?
Thanks.
Glenn
GrumpyBear

Re: RCBS Easy Melt Pot

Post by GrumpyBear »

I like it Glenn, even though the digital temperature on the EZ Melt and my analog thermometer differ by about 35-40 degrees.(It reads higher, if memory serves.) So I go by the analog thermometer for my casting temperatures.

In fact I liked it well enough to buy another, to replace my Pro melt which is not as easy to use for ladle casting.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Thanks. I'll order one tonight and give it a try. Good to read that it works well for ladle casting.
Glenn
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

I've been ladle casting out of the Easy Melt since Texas Mac reviewed it awhile back. It keeps the lead at a constant temp and is real easy to use. Cost a third of the Pro Melt.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Made one run with the new-to-me Easy Melt. Could not be "easier". Did purchase an 80mm muffin ($11) fan I hung on the right side so I can turn the pot off at the end and not have to hang around to turn it off after ~3hr of cooling. Just start the fan and turn off the pot and can walk away. Turn off the fan whenever I get around to it. Also, no way one can get a mold hot enough to cast with sitting it on the 'lid' that comes on the pot. Like all my pots, I set the mold on the edge of same when I start the pot and it and the lead both reach a good casting temp at about the same time. Do like PID control. One more variable removed in making a good load.
Glenn
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

The link below will take you to my evaluation. Since then I continue to use the pot & love it. BTW, there's nothing wrong or unsafe with leaving the pot on after using it with the controller set to 0 degrees to allow it to cool down. Only the cooling fan is running. It will take a couple of hours or more so make a note to turn it off in 3hrs. Another better technique is to connect it to a timer so you can walk away & forget about it.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Evaluation_of_ ... h_PID.html

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I've been using one for about a year now. It's a good unit but the temperature reading on mine is a bit out. By checking against a trusted unit from another pot I found mine to be reading about 40 degrees higher than actual. No problem, I just set it higher. Can cast about 160, 540 grain bullets before needing to top it up. I've usually had enough by then anyways. :lol:
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia