SPG or DGL ?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

SPG or DGL ?

Post by SSShooter »

Time to order lube. Any difference between SPG and DGL performance on the target? Will be pan-lubing 365gr 38cal 'Money' bullets for a 38-50.
And, NO, I will NOT be making my own lube. And, especially will not be paper-patching (paper-patch folks probably still roll their own cigarettes and call themselves cowboys - yuck :wink: ).
Glenn
ChrisF

Re: SPG or DGL ?

Post by ChrisF »

If you haven’t done it don’t knock it. Tell Kenny Wasserburger or Ian Egbert about paper patching they will show you are wrong.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I am not sure which one is better, but I do know that SPG is a good product that is sold by one of the most generous and supportive people in the industry. I have a hard time recommending anything else just because of all the support they send to any match you go to. It is still used by plenty of top competitors, too.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why so many paper patchers (not all for sure) feel they are somehow superior to those shooting grease grooves. It is just something more to experiment and have fun with, not some kind of cult you join that makes you smarter or cooler than everyone else. It is absolutely another variable to add to the equation. I have messed with them quite a bit and they don't turn me on at all, mostly because the real key to success is barrel cleanliness. The cleaner your bore between shots the better they will work and I don't care to basically clean my gun between each shot or fool around with those bore weasel/pig/wiper things. I'll stick to grease grooves, although my hat is off to both Kenny and Ian who humbly make them work and openly share information.
take care, Cody
BFD

Post by BFD »

Cody, I think you are overreacting just a bit. Paper patchers just like to have fun. if you don't like'em, then don't use them, but for decades people here said they don't work. They can't work. One of your fellow Wyotes was so infamous as to brag that he loved to see paper patchers at matches, because he knew he had them beat before they crossed the parking lot. Now he shoots paper patches - though not very well. Meanwhile, a lot of us that know how to use them just like them, and those that have success with them, tend not to go back since paper patching offers several advantages. I'm perfectly happy to be part of the paper patch cult.

You sound like Butch. :)
Woody

Post by Woody »

Back to the subject.

Glenn asked a valid question. I can't tell the difference, although it's been a while since I last used either. I use the stuff Michael Rix makes. Have been for years. It is softer than either SPG or DGL. You will be well served using either.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

All in good fun. I'd probably learn to paper-patch but would likely die from old-age (almost 72) before I got it right. Plus, I don't enjoy the reloading part of our sport, so pan-lubing 50+ bullets at a time is less tedious than putting a diaper on them one-at-a-time.

Sounds like I can't go wrong sticking with SPG. Time to order up a pound.
Glenn
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I live in the Mojave and use DGL only.
Back when I started this-SPG would 'bleed' in our desert heat and DGL did not.
I have read that SPG now makes a lube for hot weather-Never tried it.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
semtav

Post by semtav »

jackrabbit wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:37 am

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why so many paper patchers (not all for sure) feel they are somehow superior to those shooting grease grooves.

It's really very simple Cody!! It's for the same reason black powder shooters feel Superior to smokeless shooters -- cause that's just the way things are supposed to be done !! :)
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I don’t think they feel superior they have just mastered the art of paper patching
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Hell, Glenn, I had a little of both and melted them together. It worked just fine. DGL seems a little more slippery and melts at a slightly higher temperature, but you won't go wrong with SPG. Last year at Nat'ls I mentioned to SPG that I had some Gift Certificates at home and did not bring them along. He gave me two bricks of SPG and told me to just call with the Certificate numbers. I did right after I got home. That's some good customer service and makes them worthy of my business.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

Not to belabor the point or hijack the thread any more concerning SPG vs DGL and Cody's comment on paper patching here are my veiws on both.
After 9 years of shooting AAA scores with gg in silhouette, SPG and DGL performed equally well in the heat and humidity in my home state of Arkansas in in over 60+ matches and untold rounds of practice and testing. Never made Master or shot all the laydown animals and never shot more than 5 chickens in a match, usually just 1 or 2, rarley none. I started pp loads in November at the RBGC and made master yesterday with my 7th match shooting pp. My average score for those 7 matches was 29.4. No lube, one push of a wet bore pig with patch and when shooting 3 sighters and 10 straight for score, no pause after the 1st five animals, I usually have 2-3 minutues remaining on the clock. I like paper patching but don't feel superior but do like bringing back an old style that was abandoned by the ODG when greasers were introduced. That said, I shot 33 yesterday with pp and my partner beat me by one with gg. I'd say he had a better spotter but he shot 1 more chicken than I did. We both missed one lay down ainimal. Oh, he was shooting irons and I was scoped. Paper patching put new live in my game. The 2 years before paper patching I only averaged 23.7 animals and was having thoughts of giving up silhouette due to the lack of success. Now I'm competitive again and that makes it more fun for me. Not beating another shooter but knowing that I can shoot to what believe my abilities allow. BTW, my partner uses SPG, +1 on chickens, last bird standing, last shot fired. Half my age. I drink and he doesn't. Did I leave anything out? :lol:

HG
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Thanks, Harlan. Hope to see you in GA at the end of Oct. I'll buy you a beer and we can swap some 'tall tales' (at least on my part :wink: ).
Glenn
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

powderburnt wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:37 pm Not to belabor the point or hijack the thread any more concerning SPG vs DGL and Cody's comment on paper patching here are my veiws on both.
After 9 years of shooting AAA scores with gg in silhouette, SPG and DGL performed equally well in the heat and humidity in my home state of Arkansas in in over 60+ matches and untold rounds of practice and testing. Never made Master or shot all the laydown animals and never shot more than 5 chickens in a match, usually just 1 or 2, rarley none. I started pp loads in November at the RBGC and made master yesterday with my 7th match shooting pp. My average score for those 7 matches was 29.4. No lube, one push of a wet bore pig with patch and when shooting 3 sighters and 10 straight for score, no pause after the 1st five animals, I usually have 2-3 minutues remaining on the clock. I like paper patching but don't feel superior but do like bringing back an old style that was abandoned by the ODG when greasers were introduced. That said, I shot 33 yesterday with pp and my partner beat me by one with gg. I'd say he had a better spotter but he shot 1 more chicken than I did. We both missed one lay down ainimal. Oh, he was shooting irons and I was scoped. Paper patching put new live in my game. The 2 years before paper patching I only averaged 23.7 animals and was having thoughts of giving up silhouette due to the lack of success. Now I'm competitive again and that makes it more fun for me. Not beating another shooter but knowing that I can shoot to what believe my abilities allow. BTW, my partner uses SPG, +1 on chickens, last bird standing, last shot fired. Half my age. I drink and he doesn't. Did I leave anything out? :lol:

HG
That is pretty darn interesting Harlan! Thanks for sharing, it is definitely the most happy paper patch story I think I have heard! :lol: :lol:
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

" Ah. the Legendary Sharps. an experimental gun and experimental ammunition...
YUP, it's a 110 grain cartridge with a grease groove bullet 'cause I can't waste the time to Paper patch?"

HUH....WAIT.....WHAT!? THAT'S NOT WHAT HE SAID! :lol:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

SSShooter wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:48 am Time to order lube. Any difference between SPG and DGL performance on the target? Will be pan-lubing 365gr 38cal 'Money' bullets for a 38-50.
And, NO, I will NOT be making my own lube. And, especially will not be paper-patching (paper-patch folks probably still roll their own cigarettes and call themselves cowboys - yuck :wink: ).
Both those lubes are good, but I like Bullshop NASA lube better.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?