Lens in Rear Sight

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Glen Ring

Lens in Rear Sight

Post by Glen Ring »

Some in Lever action Silhouette have been pushing for a lens in their rear sight to be an approved rule by the NRA.
Lever action silhouette is shot at a MAXIMUM distance of 200 meters on full size Silhouettes.
Lever action shooters claim the competitors are getting older and need the lens.
I point out that BPCR targets are shot out to 500 meters and the competitors average age is OLDER.
Maybe it's time for lever action to have a scope class also.
Setting the criteria for a scope, like was done in BPCR, will make it an easy chore to equip a rifle...Just allowing a "lens" for the rear sight will open the door to the equipment race in that sport.
Some of the sights at this year's lever action nationals looked far from traditional.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
BFD

Re: Lens in Rear Sight

Post by BFD »

I've opened that door a couple of times, Glenn, but it seems to scare and threaten a lot of people here.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I have always said if it were done intelligently in Lever gun, that I didn't care. At this years nationals lenses were NOT allowed but some of the rear sights looked out of this world. I tried to make some pics fit to post here and I'm not smart enough to shrink the pics.

It is refreshing to shoot a sport like BPCR where the sights are traditional and there's not a very vocal Minority trying to change the sport.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Yes, the rear (and front) sights are ridiculous. I agree. Scope class would bring more shooters back to the game, and in a separate class, wouldn't hurt a thing (unless increased attendance is a bad thing).
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Saw that young kid using a special High power match rear sight, without the diopter. Definitely not in the spirit of the game.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
BFD

Post by BFD »

This probably should be over on Steel Chickens however.