Patch popper

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

GrumpyBear

Re: Patch popper

Post by GrumpyBear »

Thank you sir. Perfect.
Blackstone

Post by Blackstone »

Who and how to you contact the maker of these patch poppers
BFD

Post by BFD »

Blackstone,

Paul Huard <moezingo@yahoo.com> makes them.
Blackstone

Post by Blackstone »

Thanks . Ill check it out .
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Brent and Powderburnt, thanks for the pictures and information, very informative and since it's going to be my birthday soon I just might have to treat myself to a set!

Couple questions:

1. I the patches I use for gun cleaning are square, I like them because I can cut them to various sizes for swabbing out anything from 17 to 45 which is a lot harder to do with a round patch without a lot of "waste". In looking at these things they are obviously round tubes with round patches in them. What patches to you use/recommend for this application? Where do you get yours?

2. My initial plan is to do greasers and blowtube, but the various bore pigs have caught my attention so may incorporate them along with the dry patch chaser. While I think from a practical point GGs are easier overall to deal with and I think the performance one vs the other is what you make of it and put into it for effort. I will admit that the PP boolits do look pretty cool, and may talk myself (or let Arnie talk me into) trying some of those dual diameter PP boolets. Having said that, if you were to use wet patches how does that work with the poppers? First think I think of is a rusty spring or are they stainless? How wet do you make your patches when you use a popper?

Thanks for the feedback!

Wade
BFD

Post by BFD »

Wade,
I use Proline 2" flannel patches. I usually buy them on Amazon. Paul (the inventor, maker) has just ordered some other cloth patches but I haven't used them.

I often use 3" squares at home for cleaning chores, but on the line 2" rounds rule the day. The new (thin) Arsenal patches also work in the poppers and the original (discontinued) Arsenals really work well in them.

Wet patches are no problem. I am not scientific about how wet I make mine, but more than damp as a rule, but not dripping.

After the match, I just let the leftover, wet patches dry out. I don't do anything with the spring. I don't think it gets really rusty but probably a little .. Nope, just checked, no rust.

Remember, you will look your best shooting paper patches. That's important :)
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Where do you get one and price
BFD

Post by BFD »

ChrisF wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:04 am Where do you get one and price
5 posts above this one.
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

Cost for the two barrel is $100 plus $14 for shipping. Patches he sells are $20 per 1,000. Bought some last year at nationals and just bought another 1000 and a popper.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I will keep my $100.00
BFD

Post by BFD »

oh well
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

Just ordered a single. A bore pig and a dry patch after a paper patch bullet is all I need. I don't like having to seperate and chase patches when time is limited. Paul strikes me as a really great guy and this is a great product if you are using a butt-load of patches on the line.

HG
BFD

Post by BFD »

Yes, if you are only shooting silhouette, then a single barrel Popper is all you need to go with a set of Bore Gophers.

I use a double barrel only in Creedmoor, and not always then. That way I run one barrel with wet and another with dry patches, and the gophers stay home. Not sure what I'm going to do this weekend though.
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Was thinking I needed a two barrel but since I’m only looking at BPCR (for now) I’ll start w a single.

Wade
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Mine arrived while I was away on a couple of shoots, looks great, quality workmanship, can't wait to test it out.