How many---

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Lumpy Grits

Re: How many---

Post by Lumpy Grits »

The only thing I 'hunt' with my Sharps is steel.
I cast my own GG bullets(PJ Creedmoor and Postel).
They are shot as cast, and pan lubed.
I use MVA Soule tang and front sight.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Due to my poor eyes the buckhorns don't work for me....maybe I ought to open up the notch some. What does work on another rifle is the sticker horned Lawrence sight.
Sam
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Due to my poor eyes the buckhorns don't work for me....maybe I ought to open up the notch some. What does work on another rifle is the sticker horned Lawrence sight.
Sam
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Sam
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

putting 1,000 shots on paper at ranges nominated will give a statistically meaningful answer to the question.
you do not have to do it all in one go.
20 shots per week for a year is a good way.
one or a few shots on a steel plate is actually meaningless.
as we know, none of the bison hunters turned up to creedmoor, so we have no real gauge of their accuracy at long range other than heresay.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

Just had to throw this in as I know a number of you gents own one of the things.

What accuracy and range have you trapdoor shooters done with the 1879 buckhorn and or the Later Buffington rear and the blade front, ("covered or uncovered") as these rifles only come with open Military sights.

Just curious as I have a 79 with 3rd style buckhorn.

Jim O
Woody

Post by Woody »

We shoot two matches a year in Friendship, IN using BPCR-Miltitary rifles. This plays out to mean Trapdoors, although we have had Remington Rollers, Original Sharps Carbines, and a Peabody on the line. This April, I shot a 26 of 40 using my original 1884 Springfield with it's Buffington sight. I have also shot and currently hold several National BPTR Records using that same rifle. I have shot it on the 1K line at Raton and managed to keep all ten record shots on the target, but Dennis Bruns managed to kick my butt on the long line.

Woody

PS: At Riverbend this fall we will be shooting our Trapdoors on the 600 yard line. The last time we shot them there, John Bly took us all to the wood shed with his. I'm testing a new bullet and loads later today at Friendship in prep for this match.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
sandhillcowboy1

Post by sandhillcowboy1 »

alfajim wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:58 pm Just had to throw this in as I know a number of you gents own one of the things.

What accuracy and range have you trapdoor shooters done with the 1879 buckhorn and or the Later Buffington rear and the blade front, ("covered or uncovered") as these rifles only come with open Military sights.

Just curious as I have a 79 with 3rd style buckhorn.

Jim O
I have an 1884 TD with Buffington sights and it is one of my most accurate guns. I used it for deer hunting a couple of years ago and did a write up for TASS on it. The buffington sights are canted to the left to counteract right hand spin drift at long range. Very accurate sights.

This pic was 3 shots at 130 yards, standing up leaning against the back of my Explorer.

This pic was the first time I shot it at 200 yards, first two shots I allowed to much for wind. Next four shots I just aimed dead on. I have only shot it to 400 yards so far, but extremely accurate to that range. This pic was taken with my Caldwell target camera.

SHCB1