Which scope

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Perentie

Re: Which scope

Post by Perentie »

I was not worried about de-clicking either Bruce.
I ended up getting two :shock:
The Leatherwood with the better mounts and a DZ.
I have not got them fitted yet as the barrel and reamer for one have not arrived and also I am busy with bush fire prevention on the property. Its scaring the hell out of me this year. Bores are drying up and what water I can get I am storing in a few 1000 litre pod tanks. Just built a trailer to hold two tanks with a pump and hose reel.
Not had time for any shooting.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

good luck with those fires.
we constantly hear about them on the media.
very early in the season.
in fact early enough to redefine the season.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

With regards using a scope for silhouette in Australia, at the moment there are only a couple of shoots where you can use one. We usually call them "any sight" matches as there just isn't the number of shooters to make them a scope only match.
While we do have a rule book to adhere to, I for one, 'aint going to send anyone away from a match.
Keep an eye out in the Australian Shooter, competitions pages, or the SSAA website, for the details of the Silhouette Nationals to be held at the Belmont range in October.
At this stage the BPCR match is up in the air due to a lack of interest. I f you are keen to compete and can muster a few more shooters, please contact the discipline chairman a.s.a.p!!!
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

So I got the DZ scope but I am having trouble working out minutes. I never was good at maths.
I went up the range yesterday by myself and set up a big sheet of cardboard and walked the shots up with a lot of driving back and forth.
My 200 yd setting is .111, and my 500 yd setting is .187 so I guess thats one hundred and eleven thou and one hundred and eighty seven thou.
I subtract one from the other and get 76 thou between 200 and 500.
As I understand the lines are one thou apart and with my 7.2 inch base spacing gives a half minute per line or thou.
So if I divide my 76 by two does that give me the number of minutes come up between 200 and 500 yards.?
Conversely if someone gives me come ups in minutes ,say to get to 600, up to 1000, I would have to double that figure to get my come ups in thou.
If someone could give me those come ups based on my settings I would be grateful.

Also, I gather I cant call these points either as I think points are only to do with tang sights and the sight radius of these.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Keith
BFD

Post by BFD »

Points are fine. Minutes are wrong though we all commit the crime. They end up being the same thing.

So, yes, 76÷2 = 36 pseudo minutes.

Someone will jump in before I get home but I'll supply come ups if no one else does.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Points are fine. Minutes are wrong though we all commit the crime. They end up being the same thing.

So, yes, 76÷2 = 36 pseudo minutes.

Someone will jump in before I get home but I'll supply come ups if no one else does.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks Brent

I should also add thats its a 40 cal with the BACO 396-415 E. 16 twist, 34 inch barrel 84 grains Swiss FF for 1360 odd FPS.

Keith
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Perentie wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:57 pm Thanks Brent
I should also add thats its a 40 cal with the BACO 396-415 E. 16 twist, 34 inch barrel 84 grains Swiss FF for 1360 odd FPS.
Keith
Keith,

I can't give you any "come ups" since I have never shot past 500 meters. But will say that's a bunch of powder in a .40 caliber & a flat shooting bullet with only 38 MOA (apparently Brent's math skills leave a little to be desired :lol:). If it's a .40-65 then you're must be using mucho compression? In my Browning .40-65 with 69gr of Swiss 1.5 behind a 402gr "money bullet" the verified velocity is 1330fps. With that load the difference from 200 meter to 500 meters is 49 MOA.
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

I have recently barreled and chambered it with a reamer to suit the .405 Winchester full length. 85 grains is still 70 odd thou under the mouth. I compress a .060 poly wad enough to give me .175 for the PP bullet.
We have a gong shoot after Pistol on Sunday so I was in a rush to get sight settings. I am still perfecting the load.
Do you think its flat? I thought I was using a lot of elevation but I am new to scope and rifle so still learning.
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

From 500 meters to 600 yards is a 6 minute come up.
From 500 yards to 600 yards should be about 10 minutes.
YMMV
HG
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Wayne, I believe he is shooting a PP with that bullet diameter, ergo setting the bullet way out to obtain that much capacity.......FWIW..........
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Jim Kidwell wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:21 am Wayne, I believe he is shooting a PP with that bullet diameter, ergo setting the bullet way out to obtain that much capacity.......FWIW..........
Thanks Jim. I missed that.
Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
hepburnman

Post by hepburnman »

Also, when considering a new (used) scope, don't forget the Unertl Small Game scopes. These were produced up to 6x power. When de-clicked they are legal for BPCR Silhouette. The mounts used here are being copied by DZ Arms and others. The earlier versions can be de-clicked by removing a small ball-bearing and can be re-clicked by reinstalling the ball. These are the shortest scopes I've seen in this category and the optics are also very good as well.
BFD

Post by BFD »

These are my sight settings for anyone that cares. They are in psuedoMOAs or inches as the case may be where 0.01" = 1 psuedoMOA

The rifle is a .45-70 using 82 grs of Swiss 1.5 fg and a 514 gr Prolate bullet. But chances are, these come ups will be ballpark close enough to see your bullet strikes on or near the paper whether a .40-65 or a .45-100.

The distances listed under M (meters) are for chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams, of course. The plot is surprisingly linear. Surprising to me at least

BFD

Post by BFD »

One additional comment

If using a scope with 7.2" mount spacing, your come ups will be the same as mine, when multiplied by 2 (two units on a scope mount = 1 psuedoMOA).