Which scope

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Perentie

Which scope

Post by Perentie »

This search is bugging me.
I type in MVA and get
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: mva.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 2 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

I did it with "Scope and get the same answer.
I am thinking of getting one I saw on here a while back with new mounts and just wanted to read it again.
I think they were adjustable back to 1000 yds.
Randy Bohannon

Re: Which scope

Post by Randy Bohannon »

SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Perentie wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:20 pm This search is bugging me.
I type in MVA and get
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: mva.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 2 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.
There are no sales allowed on this forum. You are likely 'miss-remembering' which forum you saw the scope on. Perhaps the ASSRA forum or Steel Chickens (google them). Both have classifieds, but the Shiloh forum does not. Check those two forums as MVA scopes show up on both periodically. Or go to the MVA website and buy new (as I did last month). MVA supports our sport so we should support them.
Glenn
Vern

Post by Vern »

There was a MVA scope for sale on BPCR forum last month
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

SSShooter wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:54 am
Perentie wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:20 pm This search is bugging me.
I type in MVA and get
There are no sales allowed on this forum. You are likely 'miss-remembering' which forum you saw the scope on. Perhaps the ASSRA forum or Steel Chickens (google them). Both have classifieds, but the Shiloh forum does not. Check those two forums as MVA scopes show up on both periodically. Or go to the MVA website and buy new (as I did last month). MVA supports our sport so we should support them.
Sorry you got the wrong idea. I am not looking to buy on here. I am looking for threads that mention the MVA scopes and the mounts. I thought I read on here that MVA mounts can be used om Leatherwood Malcolms as well. I type in "scope" in search I would have thought all threads with "scope" in it would come up.
whoop-up country

Post by whoop-up country »

Perentie , I hope this is what you were looking for.

https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopi ... =2&t=26686

Bob.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks. Thats one of them but I still cant get the search to work.
I just did a search on the web and found Texas Macs comparison so all OK now
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Perentie wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:02 pm Thanks. Thats one of them but I still cant get the search to work.
I just did a search on the web and found Texas Macs comparison so all OK now
Perentie,

Although the article contains comments on all the currently available scope options I do need to update it. The bottom line is:

If you have a limited budget ($500 to $700) the options are:
MVA "B" series scope with #2 mounts
Find a nice used Fecker & mounts (the mounts can be declicked per my website articel)
Leatherwood/Hi-Lux 18" scope with DZ Arms mounts

With $1k+ the options are:
Several versions of MVA scopes & mounts
DZ Arms scopes & mounts
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks for that.
I have been offered a Leatherwood that appears to have its own copy of the Unertl mounts. They are different to the standard mounts that are supposed to come with it.
I have not seen any writeups on them , only on the basic mounts.
Are they usefull for repeatability even thought not probably as good as the DZ mounts.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Perentie wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:49 pm Thanks for that.
I have been offered a Leatherwood that appears to have its own copy of the Unertl mounts. They are different to the standard mounts that are supposed to come with it.
I have not seen any writeups on them , only on the basic mounts.
Are they usefull for repeatability even thought not probably as good as the DZ mounts.
Perentie,

If this is the Leatherwood & scope you are referring to than based on feedback from other users the mounts are very good.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009560085?pid=626728. But the scope cannot be used for NRA sanctioned silhouette matches since the objective lens housing is larger than 1".

If the mounts are on a Leatherwood scope with objective lens or eyepiece lens housing of 1" or less than the setup is legal.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

BTW, the good Leatherwood mounts can be purchased separately and are significantly cheaper than DZ Arms mounts, but they would have to be declicked to make them NRA silhouette match legal, which is one thing I forgot to mention in my earlier response. I have no experience with declicking them as I have with Fecker and Unertl mounts.

https://hi-luxoptics.com/collections/wi ... ccessories
https://www.opticsplanet.com/leatherwoo ... scope.html

This is one of the updates I need to make to my article.

Wayne
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks for that. They are with the 18 inch scope so will put them on my 32-40 just to see if they work and if I can shoot any better with a scope. I have this dag thing that is in my eye and hangs down into the hole in my tang sight. Very disconcerting. If a scope works I will get the DZ mounts for long range as those Leatherwood mounts dont have the elevation the DZ do.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Wayne - Both DZ & MVA are great supporters of our sport and made in the USA. I've never heard of Leatherwood (Chinese) doing the same. You might also mention that in your update.
Glenn
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Indeed MVA and DZ do support our sport. MVA far outpaces anyone else, DZ has a long ways to go to catch MVA. Over $200,000 in product over the last 25 odd years, has been donated by MVA.

Anyone Else? Crickets..............

The Lunger KW
Unrepentant/Unapologetic
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

keith,
here in oz I would not worry about declicking any mounts unless someone made a fuss.
and then I think it is only sil that complains about it stateside.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus