Shooting my 40-65

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Don McDowell

Re: Shooting my 40-65

Post by Don McDowell »

https://www.buffaloarms.com/400-360-gra ... -jim400360
This bullet shoots well cast from 20-1 in the 40-65,40-70 and 40-90 bn patched in 7 lb paper. I have not shot game with it yet, but it should work great on game, it does retain good accuracy to 600 yards, which is something close to 3 times the distance a shot should be taken when hunting with a bpcr IMHO.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Bob B.
That JIM403380E, at 1.325" long is a tack driver for me and several others.
It is the first of a family of DDEPP bullets that started a fresh look at
2 diameter PP bullets for GG chambers.
It was designed for 16 twist 40-65 GG chambers with about 0.150" of freebore-
my own custom chamber as well as a good fit for the Browning 40-65s out there.
Accurate and stable out to 1K.

Another similar 1.325" long 40 cal DDEPP bullet in BA is the JIM405390E. This was designed for a 40-70/16 twist
with (almost) no freebore. Notice the shorter "patch to case neck I.D." base band.
The slightly larger diameter of 0.405 is for a slightly thinner tracing paper
that Ross M. is using. He is raving about the accuracy.
However, they may indeed shoot well enough at modest distances,
but they are too long for optimal stability in your 18 twist.

Your 18 twist should have a 1.25" long bullet for best stability. This was shown in Jim K/DistanT Thunder's 2 diameter bullet
for his 18 twist 40-65. Shoots very well for him.

Depending on your chamber, one of the above should work very well in your 18 twist barrel if it is shortened in the "patch to bore"
and maybe slighly shorter ogive sections to get it down to 1.25" long overall.

I do also note that Don M.'s thought about the JIM400360. at 1.1" long for hunting is a good one. Will stabilize well in 18 twist.

I could picture that blunt RN straight sided PP as a good one for hunting, especially if it "gained" a "Patch to case neck I.D." base band
so a person would not have to neck size.
beltfed/arnie
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

I have only been shooting my 40-65 highwall for a couple of years.
I use a lyman 410663 mold. 1 part tin to 20 lead shoots best and I pan lube with spg
I think the twist is 1-18
I shoot Pyrodex RS powder and a magnum federal 215 primer.

This combo works well for me and my old Winchester highwall. I shoot Silhouette only with this load and it's as accurate as I am out to 500 meters.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Ramsdown

Post by Ramsdown »

Bob B. wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:48 am SSShooter,

I did not intend to give the impression that I thought shooting a BPCR at 300+ yards would be easy. I'm quite sure it takes a lot of practice and the right loads. My post was simply my experience as someone who has never done this sort of shooting before. I was shocked yesterday to shoot my very first paper patched to bore rounds into a 5 shot 1" group. I know it was only 100 yards as that is all my range has (a lot of trees in these parts) but it impressed me. Maybe I've just been lucky who knows but I'm having fun. As for Ridgway, that looks interesting. I'd have to figure a way to get around Mass., Conn., and NY to get there. Not sure I would enter any of those states with a firearm in my vehicle! :wink:

Bob.
Bob, I am shooting my bpcrs at Pemi Fish and Game in Holderness NH. We have swingers out to 660yds. What a hoot.
John
Bob B.

Post by Bob B. »

Ramsdown,

I didn't realize there was a range that long so close by, Pemi is no more than a hour from me. I will definitely look into a membership. Is the 600+ range only for special events or is it always available? Their website says 200 yd. rifle range.

Thanks,
Bob.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B. Franklin.
Ramsdown

Post by Ramsdown »

The Pemi long range is available when there is not a match going on. Best to check the calendar on the website, Pemi.org , to make sure it is open.