Bore Leading

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Bore Leading

Post by TexasMac »

If wipe between shots and you’ve ever experienced bore leading in your BPC rifle you may be interested in my short article recently published in the October edition of the Single Shot Exchange Magazine. Titled, “My Bore Leading Saga”, it can be found at the following location: http://www.texas-mac.com/My_BPCR_Bore_Leading_Saga.html

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Glen Ring

Re: Bore Leading

Post by Glen Ring »

Wayne
Thanks for posting this link.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Wayne it sounds like you've come to the same conclusion as me. I've definitely been down that road, although I didn't find leading hurt my accuracy that badly.

What turned me onto the "too wet bore" causes leading thing was the one time I shot my .40-65 with my new BACO bore wipers. They were an early batch and I think maybe the o-rings were too small. When pushed into the bore you could see light around each groove, meaning not a good seal. They left the bore very wet. After each relay I'd race back to the benches and push tight patches through to remove the enormous amount of lead. I was pulling groove sized chunks out after each set of targets. It was like a years worth of leading after each set of targets! Amazingly the rifle still worked well enough to clean the turkeys which I would not have believed.

This year I switched to using a potato ricer to squeeze out excess moisture which works quite well as long as you put a consistent height stack of wet patches in each time.

I use 30% water soluble oil, but have experiments to do there yet. If you wipe the bore and then look down it, if there is excess moisture, you'll see where the surface tension of that mixture will cause it to bead up. I think you want a solution that has very little surface tension in order to prevent that. The bullet smacking into beads of wiping solution can't do anything but cause problems.

Chris.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Thanks for posting Wayne,definite food for thought.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Interesting article Wayne. I'm finally looking into the BACO wipers. The few shots that I've fired using them are promising, but I too notice leading that I've not had when using a blow tube. I'll reduce the moisture content tomorrow when I hit the range for another test.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Interesting article Wayne. I'm finally looking into the BACO wipers. The few shots that I've fired using them are promising, but I too notice leading that I've not had when using a blow tube. I'll reduce the moisture content tomorrow when I hit the range for another test.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
BFD

Post by BFD »

Woody, push your wipes with a dry patch. If the patch, after it falls from the muzzle feels anything more than just barely damp ON YOUR LIPS, your wipes are not working. Your fingers will not be sensitive enough to feel the moisture that might be there, even when it is far too much.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Thank you Wayne, for this information :!:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Woody

Post by Woody »

Brent,
push your wipes with a dry patch.
That's what I have been doing, but I didn't "taste" the patches afterwards. Kinda reminds me of keeping my fishing bait warm in winter. :shock:

Woody
Richard A. Wood
BFD

Post by BFD »

Woody, you don't taste 'em, you kiss 'em. :)
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

OMG.....can't wait to read Jack Rabbit's response to that one!
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

PP bullets and water/soap mix. one wet, one dry and a swat with the chamber brush...no leading.
OK. I did have leading with my 420 spg lubed greaser. long lead strips taken out with turpentine.
That could have been too much 'wet...who knows....The PP are easy, good looking and accurate...without leading. I'll stick to them..

good article, keep them coming...Ken
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

well as for the last section of the story, just the other day I was going to try some new bullets, and noticed I didnt have any moose milk left so I just poured in some oil (not measured) and added in water. It looked pretty heavy in oil but thought the same...."what could it hurt??" well vertical stringing is what I got. This was all done with PPB"S as well, so it seems to give some evidence that it happens in both types????? hmmmmmmmm
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Vertical stringing, what with variable residue of oil in bore.
But Not Leading.....