The Best Blackpowder Measure?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gamerancher

Re: The Best Blackpowder Measure?

Post by Gamerancher »

I believe you John Boy. The Lee is what I use, cannot fault them, will throw very consistent charges if you are mindful of how you work the lever.
( Even when just clamped to a coffee table in a motel room :lol: )
Price is right, they weigh bugger all and pack down well for travelling. ( Very handy for me )
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Interesting hearing this about the Lee Powder measure. For many, many years I have used both the RCBS and Redding powder measures for throwing ‘ball’-type rifle powders like H380, H322 and H335 with great results.
In my 45-90 and 110 I use course Goex Fg, 95.0 grains and 111.0 grains. I did some research just after reading the replies here, and it states online that the Lee is capable of throwing up to 100 grains of powder. Black is different than white, of course. Can anyone please tell me how many grains of Fg the Lee can throw? I would even consider throwing two charges of 55.5 grains to get a 111.0 grain load IF it could throw the charge(s) accurately.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Have used the old plastic Lee piece o' crap powder measure for at least 20 years for white and black. I find as long as I keep it at least half full and work the handle the same way each time, it works quite well.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Ok, thanks; that’s the kind of stuff I like to hear.

Robert
bobw

Post by bobw »

opencountry wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:47 pm I would even consider throwing two charges of 55.5 grains to get a 111.0 grain load IF it could throw the charge(s) accurately.

Robert
Don't know about the Lee but with the large drum in place my RCBS Uniflow throws 2 charges of 73 grs each with Goex Cartridge grade for 146 grs to make a 50-3.25" talk hard and with authority. bobw
bobw
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thanks bobw,
I’m gonna invest (price is right) in a Lee or RCBS, and try it. The target will tell all.

Thanks, fellas, for your help!
Robert
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

My Lee, opened up to full charge is bang on 110gr of 1.5F Swiss. My smallest load is 62gr in my .40-70 Sharps and my biggest load is 105gr in my Gibbs long range muzzle loader, so it serves me well.
Mine will throw charges within 0.1gr if I do my bit with the handle. That's as accurate as my digital scale gets, and less than 0.1% error, I reckon that's good enough. After setting it up, I throw a few charges and weigh them to check and get a rhythm going, then I just throw the loads into my vials for the muzzle-loader or with the thrower set up above my drop tube, straight into the cases for my cartridge rifles.
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Think you may have to adjust your signature line Dan... Perhaps something along the lines of ' west of the east coast of Australia.... where it dont rain much' :( . Oh...an no more photos of dust o.k. :wink:

Gavin.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "