Poor results with the “Kidwell” bullet today

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Poor results with the “Kidwell” bullet today

Post by TexasMac »

Hey guys,

I tried BACO’s “Kidwell” bullet (16:1 alloy) in my Shiloh Sharps .40-65 (14.5 twist) with poor results at the Yaupon Creek match today. The load was 63grs of Swiss 1.5F under a 0.060” wad. COAL was 3.110” with 0.080” of compression in Remington brass. A COAL of 3.110 has the 1st driving band approximately 0.005” off the leade. I discussed it with a shooter after the match that’s had good success with the bullet but said it has to driven hard. He recommended increasing the COAL until hard into the leade and increasing the powder sufficiently to result in around 0.200” of compression which would take about 68grs.

I’d like to hear the load breakdown from others that have had good success with the bullet. Thanks.

BTW, BACO changed the bullet designation some time ago from JIM409400M4 to JIM409400M5.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
SSShooter

Re: Poor results with the “Kidwell” bullet today

Post by SSShooter »

Always had good results with 58gr of 2F Swiss and 3x 0.060" wads on chickens & pigs in a 14.5" GM barrel. As mentioned, it was always loaded long enough to engrave the rifling (OAL will be different rifle-to-rifle). Used the heavier Money bullets & more powder on turkeys, rams & at 600yd.
Glenn
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

Wayne,

16/1
I ended up at 1.5F 66grs
fed 210m
060 walters
Starline, annealed, necked
needed to be seated DEEP into the rifling, don't recall the compression. I don't like a bunch of compression
I've since gone to the 420gr & 2F, I prefer it much better, silhouette & long distance both

Still working on it.

Brian
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Wayne, I'm using that bullet, with fairly good results.

16/1 Alloy
I ended up at 1.5F OE 65.5 grs,new lot of powder so playing around with that a little.
CCI BR2
.060 Walters LDPE wad. Coffee filter wad below powder, newspaper wad on top of the LDPE wad.
Starline, annealed, necked
Seated fairly deep into the rifling, good engraving on the bullet,don't recall the compression either.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Wayne,

I am using the same bullet, but in a 40-70, 66.0 grs of Olde Eynsford. Hard into the rifling I use a very thin card wad to compress, then a .060 poly wad. It shoots very well at 500 and 600 in target Rifle.
I use the 420 version at 200-300 with 64.0 grs.

Both are cast 15-1.

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Thanks guys,

I'll try increasing the charge in the Sharps and see what happens. BTW, the only way I could get decent accuracy with the bullet in a Browning is with 69gr of Swiss 1.5, but the Browning has a bunch of freebore.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com