neck sizing 38-55

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

D. Taylor Sapergia

neck sizing 38-55

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

I have a friend who owns a very nice little Ballard rifle, chambered in 38-55. He shoots a bullet from a custom mould that measures .375". He would like to simply neck size his Starline brass to provide a .001" neck tension. He bought a die for this purpose, but it is still .004" too large. He doesn't want to full length size and neck expand because of stress to the brass and reduced powder capacity. Can someone suggest a neck sizing die that will do this for him?
Gussy

Re: neck sizing 38-55

Post by Gussy »

I use the Starline long brass in mine. After several firings to allow the brass to settle down, I backed off the full length sizer. I get just a firm hold but have never tried measuring it.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

CH4D sells bushing necksizers to any diameter you want.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Has your friend slugged the bore of that Ballard?
If it is any early/original Ballard,it may have a groove dia around 0.380", sometimes more.
It may be his .375 bullet is too small.

therefore, he may not need to neck size very much if he ends up going to
a larger diameter bullet.
That neck sizer that is now 0.004" too large, may be just right for say a 0.380" diameter bullet

beltfed/arnie
BFD

Post by BFD »

I'm with arnie. If it's a true 38-55, he needs a bigger bullet and maybe a longer case.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

martinibelgian wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:22 am CH4D sells bushing necksizers to any diameter you want.
Am using CH4D's large bushing neck sizing die and it is an excellent piece. Believe I have 0.398", 0.400" and 0.401" bushes at the moment (along with a few centered around 0.430" for 40cal). You will want a 'selection' of bushes unless you will only be using Starline brass. My Win brass likes the 0.398", but the Starline the 0.400".
Glenn
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Forgot to add that I use the bushing die as the last step in my loading process before placing in the ammo box. It tends to center-up the bullet and reduce run-out, which can be a problem for us soft lead shooters just like it is for those high-power guys.
Glenn
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

I will also put in a vote for a good bushing die. The only down side I have found to the bushing dies is the press they are used in. If things are not in perfect aliment with your press it can cause problems. I have first hand experience with that issue. I did solve that issue by going to the Co Ax press. I do have an advantage over some in that I have the tools and skills to make my own bushing dies, and bushings. I made up the design so that I can do all steps with just 2 dies. I have a separate die I use for powder compression and to flair the case mouth. Other than that I can use the bushing die to
de-prime, neck size, seat and crimp the bullet. Anyone with access to a lathe can make up the die and the bushings and you can easily have the variety of bushings you need.
Sam
D. Taylor Sapergia

Post by D. Taylor Sapergia »

Thanks for your great replies. I'll pass this on to my buddy.