Old eynsford shooters

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Dennis Armistead

Re: Old eynsford shooters

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Castaway wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:51 pm Dennis, same bullet?
No. My 45 2.6 is loaded with 540 gr. mini money and the 45 2 7/8 is 530 gr. elliptical paper patch. I should have stated that both loads have been shot with swiss and old eynsford and I was making comparisons of the two powders.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Dennis, I’d be curious if you reversed the bullets what the results be?
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Oh to have choices :cry: The last time I was in a position to procure Swiss powder down here was almost two years ago and the rate was around $110-115 Aussie dollars ( aka Pacific pesos ) a kilogram. At todays exchange rate...that's about $35 US per pound. We are hoping for some more to find its way down here in the next twelve months but at what price I dont know. Other than the sporadic availability of Swiss... we have access to Wano powder which I believe maybe the same as Scheutzen powder ? Not sure about that. It performs but in comparison to Swiss it is considerably down on energy per a given load and quite dirty. I've managed to sample a couple of containers of O.E. whilst in the U.S. and though it was apparently a little down ( not much mind you ) on velocity to Swiss, its fouling was definitely softer and easier to manage. Other than my own shooting :roll: .. I wouldnt feel handicapped using it at all. Its academic for us though as there is no GOEX coming into the country that I'm aware of and Wano pretty much has the monopoly given supply and demand. In U.S. dollars.. Wano is upwards of $27 a pound down here ..ie. about $90+ au per kg. Fingers crossed on the next Swiss delivery... That just means ...'can I get some' ...and 'how much' . If one is in the right place at the right time...then its Swiss ...otherwise.. well.. we are convicts after all and beggars cant be choosers. :wink:
J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that large case capacity rounds seem to shoot better with a lower power factor powder for some reason. I found the tipping point around 100 grs. I don't know why that is. I have turned to Old Eynsford powder for the 50 2 1/2 and the 45 2 7/8. My match rifles still burn swiss at this time unless Eynsford out performs. Time will tell. I may show up at Phoenix shooting Eynsford.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Blackstone

Post by Blackstone »

I've had good success with OE . It is 150 less a case where I deal . It would be nice if we had a company in the USA to make us good powder .
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Old Eynsford is made in the USA, at Goex's plant in Louisiana.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I first tested Olde Eynsford in March 2014. At Phoenix.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Blackstone

Post by Blackstone »

Well Don you're absolutely correct OE is USA made . We were told last May at the match in Friendship that it was made in Australia . I was severely disappointed cause I thought it was made here . Thanks for setting me straight. I'll be goin to Indiana to get some soon
R Moritz

Post by R Moritz »

Mr. BFD

I have had great luck with lot 071.013 11/2 Swiss. I have used up my two cases and am down to 4 cans, sad story. I purchased a few cans of 071.013 from a fellow Schuetzen shooter. Does anyone have any experience with this lot? I have not tried it yet but it is on my list.

I also have a few bottles of 2017 11/2 Swiss I plan to test in the very near future. I have tried some 2017 2F Swiss and it shows some promise. Testing is not complete so the jury is still out.

Thanks

Rick Moritz
Wenatchee, WA
BFD

Post by BFD »

Rick that's interesting. 071.013 does not have a good reputation - though your results certainly speak to the contrary.
R Moritz

Post by R Moritz »

Mr. BFD

For what it is worth I am using 0.200+ inches compression and Federal large pistol match primers. I also use the equivalent of a 4 ft. drop tube so I probably have above-average powder density. Not sure if powder-density is an independent variable, maybe.

Cheers
Rick Moritz
Wenatchee, WA
BFD

Post by BFD »

Rick, Compression seems to be part of the solution. Thanks!

Brent
Woody

Post by Woody »

Rick,

I was getting good results with the 2017 lot of Swiss 2FG. I had been buying a couple of cans at a time while at Friendship. When I decided to buy a couple more lbs, I was informed that they had no more of that lot. So I started all over again with the 2018 lot of Swiss 2FG. Before buying any, I did determine that several cases were available at Friendship. My current testing makes me believe it's time for a case purchase of this lot. I also need to finally load up some of the Old Eynsford to see how it shakes out. I've got about five lbs of it.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

R Moritz wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:47 pm Mr. BFD

For what it is worth I am using 0.200+ inches compression and Federal large pistol match primers. I also use the equivalent of a 4 ft. drop tube so I probably have above-average powder density. Not sure if powder-density is an independent variable, maybe.

Cheers
Rick Moritz
Wenatchee, WA
I do the same with 010.213 and 270.613 and both lots work very well. In both lots I use more than 0.2" of compression. In the .40-65 I'm using Federal Large Pistol Match primers as well. In the .45-90 it's CCI BR2s.

Chris.
45bpcr

Post by 45bpcr »

I just put in an order with Maine Powder House.

I'm down to 6lbs of Swiss 1 1/2, lot # 010.213 I think :-)

I have 20lbs of Swiss 1 1/2 and 5 lbs. of GOEX OE 1 1/2 coming.

Figured I'd try them back to back over the chronograph and on paper.

I wonder if I should compare them by charge weight, volume or stack height in the case.

Craig
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils