44-100

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bpcr shooter

Re: 44-100

Post by bpcr shooter »

Do they make a base (riser) for the rear MVA's??
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

If you find someone who will make about a 3/4" riser to go between the tang and sight base on a Hepburn please let me know. I know of several people that can do it but they definitely lack the motivation and interest to do it. The idea is a riser high enough so the rear staff will tip back far enough to be more or less parallel with the bore to facilitate cleaning and wiping rods.

The picture says a lot. Looks like you have the correct butt stock for long range. My "guess" is what you can get to shoot well will depend on the proclivities of the rifle as it exists rather than whatever your personal preferences may be. Keep an open mind then wait and see what the target says. Being you are in Wisconsin and Distinguished Member of the world famous Winnequah Gun Club at Lodi, Wisconsin, you will be able to wring it out at long range. In both of my 44-90's I arrived at an accurate balanced load by reducing case capacity with wad stack and lowering velocity down to around 1350-1360 and the rewards were impressive. Anything approaching full case capacity generated too much heat and hard fouling for this part of the country, not to mention recoil.

Yes, a spirit level front sight is a plus. Too bad Distant Thunder has run for the hills.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

great thanks for the info!! I will keep y'all updated as I get more info on this rifle. guess I will have to fire up the mill at work and make a riser. Yes it is too bad that DT has retired but, we all must slow down at some point to stop and smell the sulfur right!! If I could just talk someone into designing a DDPP bullet for this Im sure I could find a mold maker to make it. :D :D
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

bpcr shooter,
Talk to Steve Brooks about your mold.....
Tom