Lead sticking to my Bullet Mold

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Coltsmoke

Lead sticking to my Bullet Mold

Post by Coltsmoke »

I have lead specs sticking to the inside of my PP bullet mold. They are stuck around the inside of the cavity at the base of the bullet, probably the first 1/8 of an inch, and down one side of the cavity where the mold halves come together about a 1/16 of an inch wide. How can I get this out without damaging the mold?
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
hipshot1

Re: Lead sticking to my Bullet Mold

Post by hipshot1 »

soak overnight in Montana extreme Cowboy blend.
A man must standup before you can see how long of a shadow he will cast
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You can scrape that out with the case mouth of a case you don't want anymore.Or a piece of real small hard wood dowel.
Best check that the screws holding the blocks on the handles are tight and the top of the block under the sprewplate is closing properly.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

A sharpened carpenter pencil works well also to remove lead.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:11 pm A sharpened carpenter pencil works well also to remove lead.

Kenny Wasserburger
This is what I've done.
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
Woody

Post by Woody »

After scraping, if any trace of lead remains, I hit it with fine steel wool. Works best when the mould is at casting temp.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

After scraping, if any trace of lead remains, I hit it with fine steel wool. Works best when the mould is at casting temp.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Very seldom have this problem, however, if any lead at all shows up on the two joining faces of the mould block I use the sharp base edge of a cast bullet to push it loose and off. This also works if there is flow into the vent lines. Works best if mould is at casting temperature. If you don't use gloves to do this you will soon discover the need to wear them. :?

Not knowing or at least having a good idea what caused this is more important to me than the fact than it did happen. From your brief description it could be most anything caused it. Prophylaxis then observed in the future will help prevent these problems. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Just put the corner of the mold in your pot melt or heat it up with a propane torch, open and wipe it out with a folded corner piece of Burlap or canvas cloth. Make sure you don't use any synthetic cloth. Re-smoke the mold cavity with a shack match. The rough cloth will bend to the shape of your mold cavity and no chance of scoring it. For the base corner use a pop cycle stick inside the cloth shaped as needed.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Pencil eraser!!!!!!!!!! Worked even better with a little bit of Lacquer Thinner added. It did make it a little gummy and the eraser wore down quicker, but it worked better. Bought it at the big orange box store, big round orange pencil with a white eraser. Worked good, I think it was 49 cents.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.