Pedersoli throat

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bruce m

Re: Pedersoli throat

Post by bruce m »

if it is the freebore chamber, suggest trying a patch to groove bullet for best result.
semtav is doing this successfully.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Probably should post that question on the Pedersoli forum.......oh wait yeah. :roll:

Kenny Wasserburger

And before some asswipe jumps me for that, read the top of this Page, Shiloh Rifle Forums, a community of Shiloh Rifle Enthusiasts.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

A Dual Diameter bullet of appropriate dimensions to fit the fireformed cases/any freebore/bore
will probably give the best fit
since I imagine it is basically a GG chamber.
beltfed/arnie
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

BACO offers two Dual Diameter Elliptical Paper Patch bullets for 45 cal
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm a Shiloh rifle enthusiast because of the fit, finish and over all quality of their rifles. I think Shiloh Sharps lovers love guns , some models more than other but are generally interested in anything that goes bang and is well put together.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

if the ped chamber is as I remember, you might need a tri diameter bullet for it.
around the internet are drawings of a special greaser designed for the freebore chambers.
dick trenk designed it, possibly with the collaboration of dan theodore.
subtract the thickness of paper from its diameter might be a good place to start.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Dual Diameter would probably be the way to go. First time I had met Jim Kluskens of Distant Thunder fame was at a match in Alma Michigan. He was shooting a 40 that had a long free bore. He was shooting a dual diameter paper patch bullet and did VERY well with it. Hopefully he will offer some advise on the subject. You will need to know your exact bore diameter I believe since you may not be able to size a DD bullet.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

beltfed wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:26 pm A Dual Diameter bullet of appropriate dimensions to fit the fireformed cases/any freebore/bore
will probably give the best fit
since I imagine it is basically a GG chamber.
beltfed/arnie
Arnie,
Can you refresh my memory as to why a dual-diameter elliptical design paper patch bullet is a better fit for a rifle with an extended throat, i.e., long freebore, as in the Browning .40-65 or in this case the Pedersoli .45-70? About a year ago you generously offered to send me a few to try in my Browning, which I declined at the time due to not being interested in trying PP. If I remember correctly a portion of the base has a larger diameter than the rest of the bullet. Also I believe they were designed to patch to bore diameter.

bruce m,
Your comment about a special greaser designed by Dick Trent for the freebore chambers caught my interest. If you or anyone can point me to the bullet or an illustration of it I'd sure appreciate it.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
semtav

Post by semtav »

wayne
go to google and type in Pedersoli chambers and images, or go to this thread
It shows the GG bullet and a pp bullet.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ly-chamber

Incidently the PP bullet shown is the Mould I got from DanT for my Freebore 45-90.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

semtav wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:24 am wayne
go to google and type in Pedersoli chambers and images, or go to this thread
It shows the GG bullet and a pp bullet.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ly-chamber
Incidently the PP bullet shown is the Mould I got from DanT for my Freebore 45-90.
Thanks Brian,
Good thread and good illustrations of both the PP and greaser in a Pedersoli Sharps chamber.
Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:13 pm Probably should post that question on the Pedersoli forum.......oh wait yeah. :roll:
Kenny Wasserburger
And before some asswipe jumps me for that, read the top of this Page, Shiloh Rifle Forums, a community of Shiloh Rifle Enthusiasts.
varsity07840,

Don't let Kenny dissuade you from posting questions or comments on Pedersoli rifles on this forum. Kirk, one of the forum owners has assured me and others that it's OK since many of us also have and shoot other brands of BPCRs. In fact most of my many past postings here have been concerning Browning BPCRs although I did acquire a nice Shiloh Sharps a couple of years ago.

BTW, Kenny can get a bit testy now and then but he's a really good guy. :wink:

Wayne
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

I shot a .443 PP BACO mould with .002 paper pretty well out of my pedersoli.........until I met Jim K, then came the DDPP bullets and those now shoot better!! I can only hope that it will work in my new shiloh, in another 13mo anyway :lol:
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

the drawing of the patched bullet reminds me of rule no 1 when patching.
the drawing suggests a total patch thickness of 0.006", or 0.003" per side.
that is pretty thin when considering available paper today.
I don't like 2 thicknesses of paper to be thicker than groove depth.
before embarking on this sort of mission it always pays to get your paper, either a lifetime supply or readily available, and work out how much it adds to a bullet.
knowing the required diameter, you can then subtract the paper thickness to establish the optimum bullet diameter.
where the bullet has to slide into a fired case, 0.001" clearance is more helpful than 0.001 too big.
if the bullet has to slide into a bore diameter, a slight friction fit is the goal.
the bullet seating concept in the drawing is a good one for hunting, and general shooting, but for long range would be better moved forward by converting to dual diameter in order to give more case capacity.
that chamber has a lovely low angled transition, and leade angle, well suited to cast bullets both gg and pp.
a good mould maker with cnc can make angles on bullet moulds to suit these angles, as they just programme it in.
when KAL made my moulds he did this well.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus