R&J Custom Mold Handles

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BFD

Re: R&J Custom Mold Handles

Post by BFD »

Ditto with the Cabin Tree handles. You have to use them for a while. Multiple casting sessions at least. Now I definitely prefer them and find them much less tiring, though they are about 2x heavier.

In conventional handles, I really like the accurate molds handles. They are smaller and allow a narrower grip.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

SSShooter wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:26 pm Just cast a couple rounds of 60 bullets over the past few days and the R&J handles, while heavy, work much more smoothly than my STM handles ever did. The only problem is they arrived without a set-screw in either side (though both sides are d&t'd for one). The upside is that once set, they've stayed set and operate as intended. Think I may have to put a TV in front of the casting bench so I can watch Gunsmoke or The Bounty Hunter to relieve the boredom while casting.
I believe I sold my last 3 pair of saeco handles a couple weeks ago.
The weight is of no concern to me as I rest them on the "mould guide" while filling & frosting, pull them out, cut sprue, pop them open, drop out bullet, close'm up, rest'm, repeat. I literally have the tail end weight of the handles in my hand (which is next to non existent) while 95% of the casting is taking place.

Once set, they've also stayed for me. That' why I've now got 5 sets, no swapping molds in and out, no adjustments, install mould, set it & leave it forever
Unless you suffer from "Moulditist", you know who you are :roll:

As I said in an earlier post, I can cast so long now I have to turn the pot off & walk away.

Most in one stretch, 450 530 gr .45 cal on a cold Sunday :shock: I'll not do that again anytime soon

I'm thinking about moving the casting pot to the living room so I can us my leather recliner :lol: Hopefully during a John Wayne marathon :wink:
mdeland wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:05 pm I don't see how any advantage to arthritic hands either as it takes almost no pressure to keep standard handles in a repeatably closed position.
Obviously, I was doing it wrong then :oops: :lol:
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
arnie

Post by arnie »

mdeland wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:05 pm I like the innovation and good machine work but never have seen the need for a mold block to be locked up plus the additional steps of having to lock and unlock them. The other thing I didn't care for is the locking handle length.
I don't see how any advantage to arthritic hands either as it takes almost no pressure to keep standard handles in a repeatably closed position.
If one thinks they are helpful than good deal, by all means purchase them but I have not yet seen any advantage to using the lock handles I have tried. Personally I didn't care for them at all.
I didn't care for them either and that's why I made my own and once you get the hang of it theres not slowing down .
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Many of the negative comments on this thread are based on experience with the R&J or old Cabin Tree handles which are steel and heavy, especially the R&J. The STM aluminum handles are a pleasure to use and are lighter weight than even the standard non-locking SAECO, Lyman or RCBS handles. BTW, even in the locked position I “flick” the STM handles open with the finger of the hand holding the handles.

For many decades I’d been using SAECO handles when casting bullets for smokeless ammo and more recently BPCR. For many of the reasons mentioned in this thread and in other older threads I thought locking handles were unnecessary and did not provide a significant benefit. My opinion quickly changed after finally deciding to try then out. As I said in my article on locking mould handles referenced earlier in this thread, after using the STM aluminum handles for 18 months and casting approximately 2000 bullets, I love the handles & will not go back to using standard handles.

And my very positive comments only apply to the STM aluminum handles, not their steel ones which I did not evaluate and definitely not the R&J handles which I sold after the evaluation.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Whatever works for you. I'm good with the R&J. Its the casting that bores me.
Glenn
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

BFD wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:18 pm In conventional handles, I really like the accurate molds handles. They are smaller and allow a narrower grip.
Brent,

Reading your comment I was curious as I was not aware of Accurate mould handles, so I checked out Accurate's website (http://www.accuratemolds.com/FAQ.php) & found the following:
"My molds are designed to accept Lee six cavity handles. I do not make or sell handles." So, are the Accurate handles you commented on made by another company or are they really Lee handles (https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting ... d-handles/)? Just curious.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
BFD

Post by BFD »

Wayne

'its a good question. I do not know. Maybe I misremember who I bought them from but they sure do look like Lee handles. They are very well made (not always a give with Lee). And they fit my hand much better. I shall pull them out and look more closely. I did buy them with a custom mould, but not from Lee. hmmmm...

I was casting last weekend for the first time last weekend and ended with 360 514 gr bullets of which 9 were rejected. Quite happy with that using a Cabin Tree handle.