R&J Custom Mold Handles

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

R&J Custom Mold Handles

Post by SSShooter »

Anyone use the R&J Custom mold handles that Shiloh sells? Do they work well for you? Want to use with BACo & Brooks molds.
Thanks.
Glenn
VectorMan

Re: R&J Custom Mold Handles

Post by VectorMan »

Yes. I have 2 sets. One of them is an older one. I love using them. Are they needed to make match quality bullets, probably not.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

I've got 4 or 5.
I'll never use a non locking set of handles again.
I can cast so long I have to turn off the pot and walk away.
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

Yes I have used R&J (Ron Jordan) locking mould handles.
They are adjustable for tightness; much more solid, and will not wobble or vibrate.
They lock precisely and have far less play in them like other locking handles that are available.
They are a bit easier to use because of their ergonomic design.
I believe you get more for your money with these handles.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I have 2 sets of the old Cabine tree locking handles, started out casting with them, can't imagine casting without them.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Ordered the R&J. The handle broke off my Cabin Tree and now have to have it tigged back on. Not very happy with that so will hope the R&J is more reliable (and lighter - I'm getting old).
Glenn
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Before anyone buys locking mould handles you might want to read my article at the link below. I've been using the STM handles for 18 months now & they work great and as noted are much lighter weight than the steel handles. They are a pleasure to use, not so for the steel ones due to the weight.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Evaluation_of_ ... oulds.html

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

I shot with Ron this past Saturday. I cast with his mould handles yesterday just like I've been doing for about a dozen years now and nothing has ever broken off. I bought a set of his prototypes and they were heavy but I guess at 77 I must be stronger than I realize. The weight has never been an issue for me. What sold me on Ron's handles way back then was the fact that he realized the need for a locking set screw on the adjustment mechanism. It was after this that Cabin Tree added the feature competition being what it is. I cast about 3000 bullets a year and they are still going strong. This is not an opinion, just the facts.
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

I'll report back on my opinion once I've had a chance to use the R&J handles. If too heavy I'll order the aluminum STM handles.
Glenn
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

TexasMac wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:05 am Before anyone buys locking mould handles you might want to read my article at the link below. I've been using the STM handles for 18 months now & they work great and as noted are much lighter weight than the steel handles. They are a pleasure to use, not so for the steel ones due to the weight.
http://www.texas-mac.com/Evaluation_of_ ... oulds.html
Wayne
BTW, I just updated my article. I found an error & added some additional comments at the end after using the handles to cast approximately 2000 bullets. The error was the standard deviation of the sorted bullets in the photo. The SD was actually 0.209grs rather than the 2.09grs I incorrectly listed in the original text.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Thanks Wayne, that's a good article.

I have a set of the older locking handles but I don't use them much anymore.

I don't really have problems with the standard Saeco handles, but there is one trick I might try one day. I've read about it on the ASSRA forum. When you close the mould ( standard handles ) wrap a short piece of rubber bicycle inner tube around them to cinch them tight until you want to open the mold. It sounds like a nice idea to me.

Chris.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Gents, This whole discussion may be redundant. I just checked the Shiloh store and the R&J Mould Handles have been delisted. I just checked the R&J Mould Handle Website and it is no longer active. SSSshooter, you may have been shipped the last set in stock, let us know. Ron works at a metal fabricating shop, he is a welder by trade and this was a sideline for him and Janice (the J). They've been at it for some time now and maybe . . . ?? Next time I see him I'll ask. Glad I have mine.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

SSShooter wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:18 am I'll report back on my opinion once I've had a chance to use the R&J handles. If too heavy I'll order the aluminum STM handles.
You would like the aluminum handles. Very light. I've been using one for 4 years with 0 issues.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Just spoke to Shiloh and I got the next-to-last set and someone else got the last set later in the day. Mine went out yesterday so should see this week. Shiloh did say they have ordered more and did not mention them being unavailable. More later when I've got some experience with same.
Glenn
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Wayne,

Just wanted to say I enjoyed your article, I wonder if the steel STM handles would have the issues you mentioned in preheat. I love my old Cabin tree handles but they are heavy.

Definitely a good write up though.

Kenny Wasserburger.

PS. Don’t tell everyone I am a good guy, you’re ruining my image. :P
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter