R&J Custom Mold Handles

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

clearcrickshooter

Re: R&J Custom Mold Handles

Post by clearcrickshooter »

Like Kenny,like my old Cabin Tree handles,but love the aluminum ones. Have one set of the R&J's-they are decent. Have 5 sets.
clearcrickshooter

Post by clearcrickshooter »

Oh,and I put a tiny dab of locktite on nuts-they work loose sometimes even the ones with the locking set screws. Just a tiny amount and I am still able to change to another mould. But once I get it adjusted to a pair of handles I don't like to switch all the time-hence,more handles
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:12 pm Wayne,
Just wanted to say I enjoyed your article, I wonder if the steel STM handles would have the issues you mentioned in preheat. I love my old Cabin tree handles but they are heavy.
Definitely a good write up though.
Kenny Wasserburger.
PS. Don’t tell everyone I am a good guy, you’re ruining my image. :P
Kenny,

I would not expect the steel STM handles to have a longer mould heating issues. The may even come up to temp. faster than the Cabin Tree handles due to less steel in the construction. BTW, although the aluminum handles resulted in a longer time to come up to temp., once stabilized it was not a problem with .40 cal. bullets & would likely be a benefit when casting heavier bullets due to faster cooling.

OK, I take back anything good that I said about you. Now you can pretend to be an ornery crusty old fart and no one will be the wiser. :wink:

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

The R&Js arrived and have to agree with Wayne........ they are heavy. However, based on my first go-round with them, they seemed to be better balanced than my Cabin Tree handles. Haven't spent much time with them, but will spend some more time once I've caught up on loading what I've all ready cast.
Glenn
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Cast 60 bullets with the R&J. They are heavy. However, I find them a bit better balanced and definitely better operationally than the Cabin Tree. 60 bullets is about all I can take at one time, with 75 being tops. Casting is about the most boring/repetitious thing I've ever done and I'm always happy to stop. Wish I could train my wife to load for me (or, better yet, my girl-friend ;)). But, I think I'm stuck.
Glenn
labop

Post by labop »

I've used the STM aluminum for a few weeks. Like them much better than Cabin Tree, mostly because of less weight and balance. The STM clevis works well too. I preheat my mold to 500F so I didn't have any heat-up issues.
labop
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Buffalo Arms shows no stock for the STM aluminum handles, is there another supplier to look at?

thanks
kw
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

parkergunz:

thanks for the supplier link

kw
arnie

Post by arnie »

locking mould handles 004.JPG
I have been modifying my handles like this for years .Really balances nice .Years ago I posted this and got shot down because they all said why do you need locking handles .Well now the years are taking there toll on the naysayers and arthritis setting in like I had back then .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

arnie wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:53 am locking mould handles 004.JPG I have been modifying my handles like this for years .Really balances nice .Years ago I posted this and got shot down because they all said why do you need locking handles .Well now the years are taking there toll on the naysayers and arthritis setting in like I had back then .
Arnie,

That's a very innovative approach. Did you do the machine work? I assume those are SAECO handles. It should also work on Lyman and RCBS handles (after flattening the ends).

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Just cast a couple rounds of 60 bullets over the past few days and the R&J handles, while heavy, work much more smoothly than my STM handles ever did. The only problem is they arrived without a set-screw in either side (though both sides are d&t'd for one). The upside is that once set, they've stayed set and operate as intended. Think I may have to put a TV in front of the casting bench so I can watch Gunsmoke or The Bounty Hunter to relieve the boredom while casting.
Glenn
arnie

Post by arnie »

TexasMac wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:12 pm
arnie wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:53 am locking mould handles 004.JPG I have been modifying my handles like this for years .Really balances nice .Years ago I posted this and got shot down because they all said why do you need locking handles .Well now the years are taking there toll on the naysayers and arthritis setting in like I had back then .
Arnie,

That's a very innovative approach. Did you do the machine work? I assume those are SAECO handles. It should also work on Lyman and RCBS handles (after flattening the ends).

Wayne
Yes I did the machine work my self and they are Saeco handles .I drilled the ends of the handles and put those threaded inserts into the holes .They have a coarse wood screw thread on the outside and a machine screw thread on the inside .
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I like the innovation and good machine work but never have seen the need for a mold block to be locked up plus the additional steps of having to lock and unlock them. The other thing I didn't care for is the locking handle length.
I don't see how any advantage to arthritic hands either as it takes almost no pressure to keep standard handles in a repeatably closed position.
If one thinks they are helpful than good deal, by all means purchase them but I have not yet seen any advantage to using the lock handles I have tried. Personally I didn't care for them at all.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

I bought a set of STM handles about three years ago. I tried them briefly at the time, and didn't think I liked them.

Then, I broke my left wrist.
When I got past the one pound weight restriction after surgery, I tried the STM handles again, thinking they would be easier to manage with a deficient wrist.

After using them for awhile, I decided that I really like them! I now have two sets of them, and use them every time I cast, even though my wrist is no longer a problem.

There is no denying that they are different, and it took me a little while to get used to them. But once I did, I am glad that I gave them a try.