First shot issues

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

coolhand

First shot issues

Post by coolhand »

Guys,
I seem to remember reading about the first shot thing, but the search isn't working for me. After a round of shooting, I clean my bore good and then the last thing is I run a patch of Break Free through it before I put it away. The next time I go shoot, the first shot is always high and right. After that first shot, they always come right back to point of aim. I can shoot twenty more, cleaning between each shot, and they still go to point of aim. I assumed it had to be something to do with the oil in the bore, so the last time I ran several dry patches through the bore first to make sure. First shot same thing, high right. Probably something simple, but I can't seem to figure it out and it won't work for me in a hunting situation. Thanks
beltfed

Re: First shot issues

Post by beltfed »

Greasers or Paper Patch?
beltfed/arnie
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Must be a bore-condition thing. Perhaps if you cleaned the oil out with some carb-cleaner, then wiped with your usual "after shot" patch, the bore would be in the same shape as after the first shot. My experience with spray cleaners is that "carburetor cleaner" is more aggressive than "brake cleaner".

CHRIS
RGChristensen
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Better yet, get really close to your quarry. :D It is acceptable to powder burn a deer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Using Hoppes #9 and good tight dry patching seems to minimize that problem for me.

For hunting had you considered shooting to find point of impact for first shot from a cold clean bore? Then sighting the rifle to point of that impact?

Then mentally program following shots...first shots count and follow up shots take a while anyway.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
coolhand

Post by coolhand »

I am using bore size paper patch bullets.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Interesting, I've been finishing the cleaning process with Break-Free for the last 16 years. I run a couple dry patches through before I shoot next then I condition the bore with some bullet lube on a patch. My first shot always goes high and right. I know this because for most of that time I've only shot Silhouette and that first shot on the 'swinger' is about 1 minute high and 1.5 minutes right. By the third shot POI is right where the shot broke. For other disciplines, where sighters are not allowed, I compensate for this either with my hold or sight setting and adjust accordingly. I always assumed this to be a common situation as I observed most shooters 'fouling' their bore ahead of the match when conditions allow. I have 4 BPCR rifles, 3 Shiloh, 1 Winchester, and it is common to all of them. The calibers are 40-65, 2 X 45-70 and a 45-90 and it makes no difference. For the inquiring minds I shoot GG with a blow-tube, Swiss and BACO moulds. Carlos' rifle would only produce about a 2-3 MOA group. When asked why he didn't get a better rifle he answered that it was because he always knew where that first shot was going.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

For paper patch ,
TryONe Dry, to remove that oil,
THEN One Wet, One or two DRY patches
before the first shot.
beltfed/arnie
Woody

Post by Woody »

Anybody heard of "cold bore"? It does apply to BPCR as well as smokeless. Most every rifle I have ever fired will print the first shot from a cold clean bore in a different spot than the following shots. When I went through the FBI Sniper course many years ago, we spent a considerable time on determining the exact placement of the "cold bore" vs the follow-up shot. Make note of it and deal with it.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
hipshot1

Post by hipshot1 »

My Shiloh shoots 2min. high with a cold barrel clean or fouled. My Pedersolis shoot 2 min. low with a cold barrel clean or fouled. not a problem just adjust for the cold shot.
A man must standup before you can see how long of a shadow he will cast
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I run a patch with lighter fluid(no, not lit :lol: )and then a dry patch before my CBS.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:28 pm I run a patch with lighter fluid(no, not lit :lol: )and then a dry patch before my CBS.
Gary
And where does it shoot Gary? Same hole as the rest?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

MSalyards wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:40 pm
Lumpy Grits wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:28 pm I run a patch with lighter fluid(no, not lit :lol: )and then a dry patch before my CBS.
Gary
And where does it shoot Gary? Same hole as the rest?
Same hole-no.
But much closer to the group, than not run'n that patch. :wink:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

First shot of the day generally goes 1-2 MOA high. Not a real problem; I just don't adjust on that shot unless it is low. Not a big deal, since I don't clean between relays and either the normal damp patch or 5-7 breaths before the next relay, depending on the load (all GG), i every near the subsequent group center.

Clarence
Woody

Post by Woody »

I'm with you Clarence. I usually don't clean all day either. What I try to do, prior to the start of the match is send a round or two down range, just so that first shot on the sighter means more.

As an aside, while I was a Deputy in Northwestern Colorado, I was also a member of the SWAT team. First as an entry team member, then later as the sniper. NW Colorado is a little on the quiet side, :D so my services were not in constant demand. :shock: Twice though, I was called out after hours for situations that required a sniper. Rather than worry about a "cold bore" issue, I just put a round into the ground as I left my residence. :shock: (I lived on ten acres outside of town. :lol: ) Our twice yearly qualification course required a cold bore shot into the flaccid paralysis T slot of the head at 100 yards, after running 200 yards. It was a one shot qualification, pass/fail. I failed the first time I tried it. :cry: Never again after that one. :D

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.