The Next BIG THING

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tomklinger

Re: The Next BIG THING

Post by Tomklinger »

I guess it all depends what you are used to!
Tom
BFD

Post by BFD »

Yup.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Took the spousal unit to "Lupper" at Applebees today. 60 degrees. Love it. I'll be leaving at o-dark-thirty for Colorado.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I need to insure that each and every one that views this post is sworn to secrecy. Unbeknownst to no one, I have been working diligently to solve the universal problem of not having enough lead on target. The brass has been designed, waiting for the rifle to be produced. I do believe that there is no ram that can withstand even an edge hit with this round. No that is not a .22 Long Rifle. It's a full size .45-90 for comparison.
75mm shell.JPG
Take that Smoke.

I predict that recoil will be on the mild side, since I call this a 75mm short.

Woody
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard A. Wood
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

Well, Woody, I make sawdust too but mine's a lot coarser than yours I'll bet. I leave it all in the woods, no clean up! I heat entirely with wood also, only the water heater and the backup furnace (used when we are away in cold weather) run on gas. I fill the tank in the spring and in the fall maybe. Fill is kind of loose term, they will only "fill" it to 80% and we can not allow it to get below 30% or they charge an extra fee to "fill" it. They will not even consider "filling" until it's at 30%. Stupid I know, but that's the way it is.Part of it is that when they back in to fill my tank they can see my firewood all split and piled and they don't like it.

I'm not sure how many years before I'll have to buy my firewood, but the day is coming. Making firewood is a way of life up here, I've been cutting firewood since I was 11 years old. Back then I cut it with a bucksaw! Ahhhh, the good old days! I'd come home from school, saw up some firewood and throw it down into the basement through the coal chute. Then go in and fire up the old monster of a coal furnace we had bought second hand from a family in town that had just had a new gas furnace installed. Before that we heated, another loose term, the whole house with a oil fired space heater. It heated the space right in front of the heater and that's was it! Life was good back then.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Woody

Post by Woody »

Nothing like propping your feet against a "Warm Morning" stove. We heated the farm house on the river, (Ohio), with anthracite coal we picked up on the beach from a coal barge that sank in 44. It would roll up in windrows at Bull's Point with each rise of the river. 30 minutes would fill a Jon boat with 3/4 ton. Hard to start, but hot and clean when you got it going. Free!!!. Spent many a weekend camping on that bar, watching barges and the "Delta Queen" going by. Swam the river once, just to say I did. Only about 3/4 mile across there. Alton, Indiana. Mark Twain understood the lure of the river.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm don't think I have ever seen 89 F here in Anchorage before. I think 84 is as high a temp as I've ever heard of here and that was unbearable while working in it!
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

O.K. Woody I want to watch you shoot that one offhand. :lol:
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

Colt,

I'll bet he won't be shooting from the bench! Not much anyway.

Woody,

Yea, we burned some coal in that old furnace, but that cost money and firewood was free! If you don't count the labor of course. And as I remember my labor as a kid wasn't pretty cheap. I worked all one summer putting up barbed wire fence with my Dad for an old woman who lived up the road from us. I made $20, which I used to buy my first bicycle. That gave me wheels and expanded my stomping grounds considerably. Before that a friend and I used to walk to the IGA Store in town pulling a wagon full of pop bottles, the money from which was quickly spent on comic books and candy! The bottles came from a neighbor who had hundreds of them in his garage. The bike shorten the distance to town a bunch.

Do you make a line box for that 75MM? With wheels I hope!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Will you be neck sizing that one Woody? I got it! Hey Woody will that be a PP bullet? :D
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.