40-50 Sharps BN

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

powderburner

Re: 40-50 Sharps BN

Post by powderburner »

Mine is a heavy half. It holds well and shoots nice but a standard 1/2 round would be a better choice , I think. it does well to 800 as well
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
semtav

Post by semtav »

Im waiting for John Taylor to get back to me so i can ship the parts to him.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I have a 77 on order that should be real in the not to distant future, already have a Shiloh #3 in 40-70 SS with a 32” half round/oct. and have been around the block with it. I really like the half/half barrels in normal contour/weight and the 40-50 SBN has me intrigued for my 1877 only with a polished round 32” barrel and a Rigby flat.
What and where do I get dies ? $250.00 for the .403” at Midway for Redding, suppose you can order .410” for that price.
As for brass, anneal,shorten ,chamfer 45-70 brass ? No neck turning even with Starline ? I would use Winchester anyway. Since Shiloh is building my next rifle should I do a faster twist than 1:16 ROT ? I like the idea of the 40-50 SBN and brass not being an issue and those who have them enjoy them .
Andre

Post by Andre »

Mine is a C. Sharps.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Randy,

If you are planning on shooting gg bullets that seat into the case more than about 5/16", then neck turning is needed. It doesn't matter what brand of brass you use, they will need to have the necks turned for gg bullets. When I was shooting gg bullets, I had to turn my Winchester brass so that the base of the bullet did not get sized down by squeezing it into the case where the case wall is thicker.

The simplest solution is to shoot PP bullets.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Planning on PP, is there a desirable chamber for the 40-50 SBN with PP ? How about ROT ?
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I have a tight chamber from Shiloh . It was and is the least fussy gun I ever loaded for.
Brasss length makes no difference nor does powder charge. It just is not fussy at all
I shoot a 290 gn pp. bullet with about 50 grains of powder and I have a slow twist Mostly because I don’t think it’s necessary to shoot the heavy slugs inThe smaller case. So far so good.
I am going to play some with a 370 gn bullet this spring just to see, but don’t look to change much
I have a Redding size die and a custom taper crimp die. Which I only use occasionally, are all the dies I have. Mostly the cases just get cleaned and reloaded.
The size die was only used to make the brass. Simple simple
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Powderburner thank you for the info, I am smitten with this darling of a original Sharps cartridge. Are you annealing then trimming new brass before sizing ?
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

To make cases :
Anneal , full length resize ,trim, I modified a lee trimmer for the lathe, touch up with a Wilson , fire form , and move to shooting.
One pass did Winchester two passes did better for Remington. As is normal the Remington cases hold less. It it doesn’t seem to matter much they both work well with the same powder measure setting. I finally got scope mounts on the rifle so I can now work with it more easily and perhaps get better info than trying to see open sights.
I shot sillouette with it and the light bullets tipped over the rams , I did poorly because I could not see ,
It sure is a pleasant rifle to shoot and it shure shows ones poor form as there is no recoil to use as an excuse for bad marksmanship.
One thing to be aware do, it’s like shooting a .22 you can set and shoot a hundred or more rounds in an afternoon and not need an Advil Hard to keep ahead of the bullet casting
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant
semtav

Post by semtav »

John didn't have a reamer, so now have to find one to rent. Or go elsewhere.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I am very tempted to get one those C Sharps 1875’s the Target Mdl. looks super for $1600.00 delivered in my hands, would see it a lot sooner . PB thanks again for the education, I have less trepidation with this cartridge than the 40-70 SS.
I have a Steve Brooks slick sided adjustable PP mould @ .395 original Sharps nose, dismal in the 40-70 SS regardless of length of the bullet it might find a home with the 40-50 SBN.
arnie

Post by arnie »

semtav wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:48 am John didn't have a reamer, so now have to find one to rent. Or go elsewhere.
Ask John King
semtav

Post by semtav »

Thanks for the info.. might have found one close to johns.
steveu834

Post by steveu834 »

This is my 40-50 with a 350csa gg and Swiss 1.5 fg @ 200 yards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steveu834

Post by steveu834 »

The target should be rotated to the right 90 degrees. The bottom shot was first on clean bbl. 9 was second shot and 10 was 3rd. Rest were in x-ring.