.58 or .577

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kenny sd

.58 or .577

Post by kenny sd »

I've just noticed something. I have two CW rifle muskets. both original.
a Springfield type III and a Remington Zouave.
both are great condition and the Zouave is 'unissued'. almost perfect.
note: while the Springfield takes a .582 Minnie ball,in the Zouave it is too tight. Makes me think the Remington is .577 like the Enfield and the US Spring. is .58. anyone notice this?
Woody

Re: .58 or .577

Post by Woody »

Have shot them both with the .580 RCBS mini. Still have an original Colt 1861 Special. It shoots lights out, as did the original Remington I had a couple of years ago. 10,001 delivered but most were never issued. Both my Colt and Remington were unfired when I acquired them, but not when I surrendered the Remington to the next custodian.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

Hey Woody, they were meant to be fired.
I do the same.
Here in FL, we are closing everything. bird cadges, squirrel nests, stores, homes, everything! I hpe the range is still open...
getting tired of talking to my wive.

she said, You never listen to me...and then some other stuff....Ken
Woody

Post by Woody »

I agree. I shot my first whitetail with the Colt in 80. I've also shot a nice 14 inch Pronghorn and a 5 x 5 bull Elk. The speed goat was a poke at 138 yards if memory serves, but the Elk was self-defense. He came in to a bugle, and if I had a bayonet attached, I could have stabbed it! I've carried a Smith carbine a couple of times, but have yet to pop a cap with it while hunting.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

45 grains of 1.5 swiss behind a 450 Lyman .515 for the .50-70. Prints 2 inches at 50 yards. That's why I have not shot it in a hunting situation. My max distance that I would shoot it is 75 yards, although last fall Earl Lewis and I had a go at pigs a 300 meters in Friendship. We both were able to walk a round into a pig and they did go down with authority. (I shot mine out of order.)

Woody

PS: A number of years ago, I lay in wait with the Smith for a Colorado Muley for several hours. He was bedded down for the afternoon and I was on his escape route. He outwaited me. Still a fun hunt.
Richard A. Wood