SPG Tropic

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SchuetzenDave

Re: SPG Tropic

Post by SchuetzenDave »

SPG would slough off the bullet at high temperatures when I shot at Raton, New Mexico in the summer.

I trust the Tropic SPG is designed to better stick to the bullet and the inside of the barrel instead of running off.

Hopefully it will stick as well as Alberta Schuetzen Lube.

Lube that turns to oil at high temperatures is not very effective at picking up fouling and cleaning your barrel well.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

SchuetzenDave wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:17 amSPG would slough off the bullet at high temperatures when I shot at Raton, New Mexico in the summer.
Have never had that problem shooting SPG lubed bullets in BPCR matches at Raton in July & August.
Could be different for the BPTR shooters who lay out in sun and shoot hotter loads. The one time I shot a long range (800/900/1000yd) match it was August with a cloudless, sunny ski. Barrel so hot after each string that even thru the forearm wood it was very warm to handle. SPG still worked great.
Don't know about SPG Tropic, but could be a product seeking to solve a non-existent problem. At least for me.
Glenn
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I was so impressed with the accolades offered by one of the top long range shooters in the World about the "new" SPG Tropic that I bought some.
Have not gotten around to trying it myself but that adventure is not far into the future. I would say give it a whirl.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

It'll be interesting to hear how it works for you Zack. If it works where you live then it'll work anywhere.

I wonder if the next step is SPG Arctic for we northerners winter practice :-) :-)

Chris.
Crash Landing

Post by Crash Landing »

I've been shooting SPG Tropic for the past two seasons in my .38-55 breech seated for 200 yard offhand. With Tropic I can shoot dirty for as many shots as I want. Longest string of shooting dirty is 65 consecutive shots with no wiping. My load is 5 grains SR4759 as priming charge, 49 grains (weighed) Swiss 1.5 drop tubed into case, .03 card wad, .09 lube wad of SPG Tropic, .03 top wad even with case mouth. 300 Grain bullet pan lubed with SPG Tropic. In long string of 65 shots, last bullet seated just as easy as 3rd bullet, first two bullets into clean barrel of course seated easily. Accuracy was good enough so that 65 shot string I was first in my class which was 50-shots OH (extra shots were for warmup and sighters). IMO the stuff works great.
Randy W
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Thanks RSW. By the way I loved your most recent book. This year, assuming our range stays open, I want to basically go down the same road you did with replicating the original schuetzen loads.

Chris.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

It is not the lube that is letting you shoot 65 shots dirty with no wiping. It is the smokeless duplex load. Quit pissing on your leg. rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Crash Landing

Post by Crash Landing »

rdnck
Not pissing on my or anyone else's leg. I can do the same with straight OE but why shoot straight black when duplex is just as accurate and a bit cleaner? My whole purpose was to replicate as close as practical to the loading methods used in the old Schuetzen tournaments at the turn of the 20th century. My next set of tests will be with some 100-plus year old Laflin and Rand FFg with priming of DuPont Bulk Shotgun smokeless (1950-60 vintage).

gunlaker
Thanks for the positive feedback on my book. I certainly hope you found it a good read. There's a lot of good info in there on the old Schuetzen game.
Randy W
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Crash landing
If Jeanne and I happen upon you at a schuetzen match we may want to pick your brain about that sport. Small caliber rifle shooting with friendly folks sounds like fun. We have only tried this BPCR stuff two years ago and want to try other BP sports while we can. Who knows..You may talk us into Pissing on our leg also. LOL.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Randy, you can't be too surprised that duplex loads are not all that well received. Most here are interested in competition and/or traditional shooting. If one uses a smokeless duplex, why not just use straight smokeless? Traditional shooting with these rifles is straight black. And it was for Schuetzen for a long time (and yet still in some matches). I once played with duplex and then asked myself why? Might as well just crack out a .30-06 and be done with it. That's not what is going on here for the vast majority of shooters.
Crash Landing

Post by Crash Landing »

BFD
Thanks for the "gentle" rebuff. I truly understand the hostility of this forum to any shooting that's not straight black powder. Maybe I just like to kick up a little dust now and then to see which way the wind is blowing. I disagree that duplex essentially the same as straight smokeless. The old Schuetzen shooters developed duplex loads to a high art at the turn of the 20th century and the top shooters were hard-core competition shooters back at a time when it was a big money game. All I'm trying to do is replicate an old shooting method same as you guys do with straight black.
Randy W
BFD

Post by BFD »

Maybe so, Randy, bit having done the same dust kicking on the ASSRA forum, I have little sympathy for you.
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

We shoot Pyrodex... I hope that doesn't rub anyone's feathers the wrong way. it's the only way we can shoot BPCR. In these times I think we need to embrace and encourage anyone that shoots. How about we all try getting along and quit this sniping at each other. I hope to see a big crowd at the international BPCR match in Raton this summer...and if the Shutzen folks are there at the same time I LOVE looking at their pretty rifles. I use SPG lube on our bullets and I'm looking forward to trying SPG Tropical this summer. I'm headed for the porch and a glass of wine. I hope everyone has a safe and Virus free week.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
Gamerancher

Post by Gamerancher »

I've used the SPG tropical down here where in summer we can max out at around 120F. The regular stuff just runs like water in those conditions.
The tropical stands up a bit better in my experience, although I found it to be a total pain to get into my lube-sizer.
Out in western NSW where it don't rain much.
Australia
semtav

Post by semtav »

Glen Ring wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:46 pm We shoot Pyrodex... I hope that doesn't rub anyone's feathers the wrong way.

Glen.
Considering that the majority of participants here are in the highly vulnerable age for this virus. Lets hope in 6 months, what you are shooting is everyone's biggest concern.