Norma 45 basic

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

MSalyards

Re: Norma 45 basic

Post by MSalyards »

I understand the 120s are thicker and have less volume than the cylindrical brass. I inquired about this earlier and was told 45/120 was not the way to go.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Looking at that auction on Gunbroker....there are some good options there. From an Aussie point of view...allowing for exchange rate... thats about average for what we pay for brass in those calibres. Seeing 110, 90, 45/60 and even some 405 Win.. all JBA brass... wouldn't wait too long... Snooze you loose. The great mystery of what's to become of JBA's case machinery... we can only hope. As for 3 1/4" cases... I believe the main issue is case neck thickness at the neck when you trim them back. May prove an asset for pp...but could cause you problems with chambering gg. You won't know until you sacrifice one at least.. You may be pleasantly surprised. With the 2 7/8" case you still have a lot of charcoal storage room...so I wouldn't be too perplexed about losing a few grains in case capacity. My two cents...as usual. :wink:
J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

Thanks for all the feedback on this issue.

One other question since I've not run down the path of stretching/forming brass myself before.

What about getting 45-100 and forming to 45-110? I did buy some from someone I found last year, Starline 45 2.6 but are stretched to 4.880-4.883.

I know I inherited a number of 45-70 cases that were formed to .40-65 and shoot fine, but that's pretty much just necking down.

Thoughts?
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
Army Veteran, Tank Commander
august west

Post by august west »

losttrail wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:05 pm
august west wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:27 pm Maybe this will suit:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/pag ... ridge+Case

There is also 45-110 Jamison brass, 100 pcs., for auction now on Gunbroker.
The Dixie Gun Works listing, CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE kind of makes that a nonstarter. Beyond that $5.95 per case won't fly.

I already saw the Jamison on GB. Watching it and trying to decide if $2.50/case will work.

Thanks
Sorry - it honestly didn't say unavailable when I posted it - I checked carefully. Weird.
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

august west wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:08 am
losttrail wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:05 pm
august west wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:27 pm Maybe this will suit:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/pag ... ridge+Case

There is also 45-110 Jamison brass, 100 pcs., for auction now on Gunbroker.
The Dixie Gun Works listing, CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE kind of makes that a nonstarter. Beyond that $5.95 per case won't fly.

I already saw the Jamison on GB. Watching it and trying to decide if $2.50/case will work.

Thanks
Sorry - it honestly didn't say unavailable when I posted it - I checked carefully. Weird.
I get it. When I checked yesterday it said CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE. Checked this morning and shows In Stock. Weird. But then the $5.95/case puts it in the "divorce pending" category.
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Have some rcbs basic that I trimmed down to 45-70, and had to come to the conclusion that there was absolutely no case wall thickness issue. Just trim, load and shoot. Case capacity about the same as rem. Brass. I was disappointed....
august west

Post by august west »

martinibelgian wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:35 am Have some rcbs basic that I trimmed down to 45-70, and had to come to the conclusion that there was absolutely no case wall thickness issue. Just trim, load and shoot. Case capacity about the same as rem. Brass. I was disappointed....
Were you expecting it to be off? It's excellent brass, made by Norma. (She always does a good job. :P )
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

losttrail wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:25 am Thanks for all the feedback on this issue.

One other question since I've not run down the path of stretching/forming brass myself before.

What about getting 45-100 and forming to 45-110? I did buy some from someone I found last year, Starline 45 2.6 but are stretched to 4.880-4.883.

I know I inherited a number of 45-70 cases that were formed to .40-65 and shoot fine, but that's pretty much just necking down.

Thoughts?
4.875-4.880 should work.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Nope, just replying to the guy saying that case wall thickness would be an issue when trimming that much. And I was actually hopping for it to be a bith thicker, could use that in my chamber.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

[quote=martinibelgian post_id=316615 time=1591817576 user_id=3092]
Nope, just replying to the guy saying that case wall thickness would be an issue when trimming that much. And I was actually hopping for it to be a bith thicker, could use that in my chamber.
[/quote]

I heartily agree... there may be no issue at all ...hence he may be pleasantly surprised but its all conjecture until its tried. Hopefully when this world panic settles down... Norma will be readily available again. Certainly behaved well for me in my 2 7/8". I have had cause to trim a few Norma 45 x 2.9" cases back to 2 1/4" on one occasion (another chambering ) and the neck thickness was holding at .012" with 5/8" trimmed off. A tad better for pp and still accepting gg diameters. This may hold true for the longer brass but I've no experience to quote there.

JB.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

Well crud. I put a bid in for the Jamison 45-110 brass on gunbroker.com. Then had some things come up as the auction was winding down and couldn't babysit it to the end. Lost the auction.

Back to searching, hoping and praying for 45-110 or 45-120 brass.
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
august west

Post by august west »

Keep watching. I'll bet you he has more of that brass. He is only letting out by drips and drops.
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

I hope so. I will keep watching. Hopefully some of my contacts with Norma, Huntington's and others get responses.
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member