22 liner for my 45-70

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Re: 22 liner for my 45-70

Post by Woody »

The extractor is not removed. Just be careful when opening the action that the extractor does not eject the liner. That will move your POI.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Shutinlead

Post by Shutinlead »

mdeland wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:56 am How does the extraction work on those .22 liners ?
I spent the time once and made an extractor that reached the rim of the 22 - you'd drop the pin and change the extractor for this application, it really only took a couple minutes to change, but it was considerable extra work making things and the benefit wasn't there. The little pocket screwdriver as Woody stated works very well and once you're use to it, you can pop the spent case out faster and more efficiently than running the lever and then getting your big paws in to pull that little @#$% case out.

"Does the extractor have to be removed in the 74 to insert the liner or is there just a clearance slot for it to over ride?"

I don't recall who's liner has the clearance cut in it for the extractor, Crossno or Shaver... the one's I've been doing - I don't do the relief for the extractor and if you gently open the lever, the block will easily clear the case, everything stays in place and it's real clean.
Greg
Trusty Dog

Post by Trusty Dog »

I don't know if I can weigh in on a discussion about .22 liners where the last post was April. But, here goes. I just purchased a Cresno liner through Shiloh. Does the liner in any way, harm the barrel. In other words, after the liner is removed are there any issues like an accuracy change when going back to my regular Black powder cartridge shooting. Jon
hipshot1

Post by hipshot1 »

All you have to do is clean your bore and all is well. will shoot right where it did before. These things are great.
A man must standup before you can see how long of a shadow he will cast
Woody

Post by Woody »

I did not find any issues with using the liner. Accuracy in the barrel was not harmed that I could tell.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Trusty Dog

Post by Trusty Dog »

Thank you Woody and Hipshot for the response. Another question, what is the best way to protect the last several inches of the barrel since the liner only covers about 24 inches? Thank you,
Woody

Post by Woody »

I greased the barrel and didn't worry about it. I know some are using a aluminum shaft arrow cut to the length as a sleeve to keep the gasses and fouling off the barrel. I'm not sure how they are doing that.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
DAVE ROELLE

Post by DAVE ROELLE »

Fit the Crossnon liner to your barrel using teflon plumber's tape on the muzzle end of the liner, to insure a tite fit there, tightening up this critical fit was instrumental in minute of angle accuracy with the Crossno liner in my rolling blocks.

Find the cartridge flavor that your liner likes and it will shoot Master Scores at 22 BPCR silhouette, with a great spotter and a fair wind😉

Dave
your never lost, if ya don't care where ya are
Trusty Dog

Post by Trusty Dog »

Thank you Woody and Dave for the continued response. Trusty Dog
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Trusty Dog,

I'm not sure what caliber you are using it in but mine is for a 40-65. I shot one whole winter with it almost every day and in the spring when I removed it there was a ring of crud at it's muzzle. Mind you I was not using top grade ammo. It did no harm but it was a bit of a pita to clean up. I found that one size of brass tube at the Ace Hardware is just the right size with a wrap of masking tape. I cut it half an inch longer than the muzzle in order to get ahold of it to remove it. It did not harm the accuracy of the liner and there is no crud to clean up. Like Woody I also grease the whole length of the barrel with the lube that came with it (white Lithium). The trick to putting them in is finding the right starting point for the cut away. Mine tracks with the rifling as it goes in and it's another pita if it winds up at the bottom. No better way to practice off-hand.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

One interesting thing I found on my 45-70 crossbow liner is that it’s not a straight tube from the 22 chamber to the muzzle of the liner. If you take the liner and hold it up to to light to look through the bore you will notice that you cannot see through the full diameter of the bore as the bore is not in a straight line like a normal barrel.

I remember thinking WTH they sent me a bent barrel! I had got it from Shiloh so gave them a call about it. Nope, it’s fine, that’s the way it’s made just shoot it!

Holy Smokes! Never heard of that and cannot remember the reason for it. But it does shoot just fine!

If I remember correctly the bend in in the cartridge section itself or just in front of it. IICR the bend was due to the fact that the 22 chamber has to be offset to allow the center fire pin hit the edge of the rim fire round. Makes sense when you think about it but not the first time you look down the bore!

Would have been nice if they would put a little explaination sheet in with the liner, bet it would save some angst and a few phone calls! :lol:

Wade
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Trigger,

It's a small thing but out of respect for a fellow shooter and acquaintance I'll point out that the maker of the liner was Dave Crosno. Dave died a few years back and his wife and family are keeping the business going. Please log that in your memory.

Merry Christmas,

Paul
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Paul,

Pam Crossno passed away some months ago.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Thanks Kenny, I do remember that now.

Paul
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Paul

Yes I was aware that Dave had passed away. I spoke to Pam afterwards as I wanted a 22 rimfire firing pin made for my roller as my normal round pin would end up splitting the edge of the rim on firing and some gasses would come back up the FP channel into my cheek, not good!

Had a good chat with Pam and then she handed me off to her gunsmith who was keeping things going. Good guy as I recall. He shortened the CF pin and then made a RF pin with a rectangular tip. Worked much better.

Had not herd that Pam passed, thanks for that Kenny.

Are Crossmo liners still being made then? The gunsmith working for them take over the operation? Just bought one from Shiloh for my 40-65 so obviously still available.

Wade